Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano 200GS Issues
Hi Folks -

I recently pulled my old, early-90s Yukon Giant out of storage (where it's sat for...let's just say, a while), put air in the tires, WD40'd just about everything, and took it for a test ride to see what kind of shape it was in.

It's worth noting that this bike has a rapid-fire Shamino 200GS shifter / derailleur setup.

Right off the bat, I could tell there were issues shifting. Shifts were slow, if they worked at all. Both front and rear derailleur would make a clicking sound, then SOMETIMES shift.

Unfortunately, near the end of my test ride around the block, the right shifter (for the rear derailleur) completely stopped working. The upshift trigger feels good, but the downshift one has no tension and just springs back to the home position. It doesn't feel like it's "connected" anymore, if that makes sense.

So, I did some homework and discovered the shifter cable was very, very lose. I tightened it up and.. no dice. Pressing either trigger does not make the shifter cable move at all. Where do I go from here? I tried blasting a bunch of WD40 into the shifter housing and it absolutely made the top trigger feel more solid....

I'm certain that I'm dealing with multiple issues here. Once the shifter is back to a working state, both derailleurs will need some TLC, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Craig
Hi Craig;

First - get rid of the WD40.

Second - clean off the WD40 residue on your bike and its components - which is probably not practical, so you are looking at replacing most of the things you sprayed with WD40.

WD40 is not good for mechanical parts. It is a water displacement and repellent, not a lubricant.
Nigel
(08-17-2013, 11:53 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi Craig;

First - get rid of the WD40.

Second - clean off the WD40 residue on your bike and its components - which is probably not practical, so you are looking at replacing most of the things you sprayed with WD40.

WD40 is not good for mechanical parts. It is a water displacement and repellent, not a lubricant.

Hi Nigel -

I wasn't looking to lubricate things.. was just trying to get them cleaned off to see where things stood with the bike. Will use some White Lightning once I have the shifting squared away.

As far as REPLACING the parts.. the gears and chain are going to be just fine, which is what I sprayed.

Any idea on the shifter issue?

-Craig
Shimano rapid fire shifters have been known to have problems. You will find video tutorials on servicing them here & elsewhere. It is a matter of replacing the nasty or dried out grease within the mechanism.
Shifters for your bike are super cheap, Amazon, Ebay & your Local shop.

You are unwise to think the use of WD-40 as inconsequential. Your rear gears & chain now need a thorough cleaning followed by lubrication with bike lube like triflow or even white lightning from walmart.
(08-18-2013, 04:45 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Shimano rapid fire shifters have been known to have problems. You will find video tutorials on servicing them here & elsewhere. It is a matter of replacing the nasty or dried out grease within the mechanism.
Shifters for your bike are super cheap, Amazon, Ebay & your Local shop.

You are unwise to think the use of WD-40 as inconsequential. Your rear gears & chain now need a thorough cleaning followed by lubrication with bike lube like triflow or even white lightning from walmart.

Yeah, I've spent a number of hours now looking at various videos, but haven't found one yet that has my exact issue.

What you said is exactly what the plan is...the whole thing needs a good cleaning and proper lubrication before any serious use. At this point, I'm just trying to determine what needs to be replaced (it sounds like doing the shifter cables may be a good idea due to their age) or just fixed...

Thanks for your reply.

-Craig
(08-18-2013, 07:56 AM)CraigL2112 Wrote:  Yeah, I've spent a number of hours now looking at various videos, but haven't found one yet that has my exact issue.
-Craig

Give me a minute. I'm signed up for the tutor videos. I think there is one there. Yep, it's Repair Guide video #41. How to Recondition RapidFire Plus Shifters (It's $5.95 for 1 month). Probably newer than your stuff, but maybe it would help.
Unlike some here, I am not a fan of the $7 walmart (bell) cable repair kit unless I'm selling the bike. Your shifter should come with a new cable (not the housing) anyway.
When you put the new shifter/cable on, readjust the derailleur high gear (outer) setting before tightening & mashing the cable
(08-18-2013, 11:56 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(08-18-2013, 07:56 AM)CraigL2112 Wrote:  Yeah, I've spent a number of hours now looking at various videos, but haven't found one yet that has my exact issue.
-Craig

Give me a minute. I'm signed up for the tutor videos. I think there is one there. Yep, it's Repair Guide video #41. How to Recondition RapidFire Plus Shifters (It's $5.95 for 1 month). Probably newer than your stuff, but maybe it would help.
Unlike some here, I am not a fan of the $7 walmart (bell) cable repair kit unless I'm selling the bike. Your shifter should come with a new cable (not the housing) anyway.
When you put the new shifter/cable on, readjust the derailleur high gear (outer) setting before tightening & mashing the cable

You were a few minutes ahead of me. I ended up cutting the cable to get into the shifter. It looks like at least one of the pawls are sticky (and there's lots of other gunk in there), so I'm going to get it cleaned up, lubed up and see if it feels right, then order up a replacement cable.

What do you think?

-Craig
Yeah, I would clean it out, you could even use WD40, but then I would dry it out & lube the hell out of it with grease. If it still seems iffy just replace! Your LBS probably has the cables for a few bucks ( ask for MTB rear shift cable).
(08-18-2013, 01:46 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Yeah, I would clean it out, you could even use WD40, but then I would dry it out & lube the hell out of it with grease. If it still seems iffy just replace! Your LBS probably has the cables for a few bucks ( ask for MTB rear shift cable).

I believe I have the shifter working perfectly after a clean-out and good scrubbing with a toothbrush and some brake cleaner followed by an application of white lightning. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get into every little nook and cranny of it, and it appears to have paid off.

Will be heading to the bike shop near my office tomorrow for the replacement cable and housing. Will report back...

Thanks a ton for your help -- I really appreciate it.

-Craig
Got the cable yesterday and installed it a bit ago -- I haven't gone on a ride yet, but from running through the gears with the bike upside down, everything appears to shift very well...except the left triggers. I couldn't get it into the tallest cog, and it sounded like the chain may have been rubbing against part of the derailleur.

One thing I wish I would have looked at before cutting the cable, was how it was positioned on the underside of the frame. Right now it's right up against the kickstand bracket.. but just barely. Will keep an eye on that.

The plan now is to research adjusting the front derailleur and go from there...

Thanks a ton for your help, 1FJEF. I appreciate it. If you're ever in SE Michigan, hit me up -- beers are on me.

-Craig
(08-20-2013, 10:17 PM)CraigL2112 Wrote:  Thanks a ton for your help, 1FJEF. I appreciate it. If you're ever in SE Michigan, hit me up -- beers are on me.
-Craig
Thanks, I used to live in Wisconsin, it's either too cold or too humid, lol. Of course it was about 107 degrees here yesterday.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Last Post: ollie.olsson

05-25-2020, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

05-03-2020, 08:45 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley