Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano Shifter / Derailleur Compatibility Help Request
Greetings Friends, I wonder if someone can assist with the below. I have a Trek 6000 mountain bike which currently has all stock Shimano components. It’s a 3 x 8 setup with the front derailleur being Shimano Acera, and the rear is Shimano Deore LX. The original shifters ceased functioning and have since been removed and tossed by an over-eager home maintenance tech (me). I now find myself seeking a new set of inexpensive shifters to get the bike back on the road.

Question: will the Shimano ST-EF65 Shift/Brake Set (Black, 3x8 Speed), for about $40 on Amazon, match right up with my existing Shimano components?

Appreciate any help, assistance, or advice. Thanks
those would work, but are intended for v-brakes. do you have canti's?
they would degrade the value of the bike. I would recommend this set. to help retain appearance and value especially if you have canti's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Old-Stock-Shimano-Deore-LX-Shifter-Brake-8-SPD-Lever-ST-M567-/230938117847?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c4fc06d7
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
PK, thanks for the quick and helpful reply. The bike has "V" brakes on it...however, the shifters you recommend appear to be exactly what was originally removed from the bike; and are similar in price to the ones I was looking at on AMZN.

Seeing now that I have the V brakes, would you still recommend the Deore LX shifters, or should I go with the EF65's.

Thanks again for your reply.
roll with the ef's
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-18-2013, 11:30 AM)hoakrl Wrote:  Seeing now that I have the V brakes, would you still recommend the Deore LX shifters, or should I go with the EF65's.
Thanks again for your reply.
I would go with newer stock, less chance of old hardened grease problems. Painkiller would probably be the one to ask.
(08-18-2013, 11:37 AM)painkiller Wrote:  roll with the ef's
look at my cool tips post so you can cut crimp and tuck your new cables clean and proper
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4891.html
Awesome, Thanks. I'll pick up the EF's, install and post back on results. Thanks again for your time.

Possibly Related Threads...