Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Advice on parts for new project
OR you can reuse the road bar just pull it out reinsert upside down, mount levers readjust till comfy and cut bar inch or so above levers.
OR you can reuse the road bar just pull it out reinsert upside down, mount levers readjust till comfy and cut bar inch or so above levers.

Having problems posting photos, and posts disappear, sorry if double??
Never Give Up!!!
Do not know where my post went??

Anyway . I am not a big fan of straight bars. You can pull out the road bar re install it upside down mount brake levers adjust till you have them in a good spot and cut the bars one inch above brakes. Get a nice comfy triathelon bars. I find them more comfy than my MB straight bars with horns. And its free.
Never Give Up!!!
Another option is trekking bars:
http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Trekking-Bar-25-4mm-Black/dp/B006GHK4PM/

and here are some factory bull horns:
http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-BullHorn-Handlebar-40cm-Black/dp/B002I7ICK8/
as opposed to George's custom unit.
Nigel
I just won the auction for the sram rival group set from my earlier post and the campy veloce brakes so I guess that's what I'll be attempting to put on the frame!
(09-08-2013, 09:23 PM)Wilbert Wrote:  I just won the auction for the sram rival group set from my earlier post and the campy veloce brakes so I guess that's what I'll be attempting to put on the frame!
Sounds great Smile

There are still a few little things that you'll need - off the top of my head:
shifter cable stops, chain, cables.

I would also put on cross levers (aka interrupter levers) because I like to brake from the top of the bar, in addition to the hoods and drops.
Nigel
So much for the $300 budget!
(I would also put on cross levers (aka interrupter levers) because I like to brake from the top of the bar, in addition to the hoods and drops.) yes they are nice Nigel is right.
Dunno what what size bar you are using but if you want a set of levers I have a new set for 26mm bars, slight blemish on clamp. You can have them for $15 shipped (to Us). They are Tektro RL726 model# If interested just PM me
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-08-2013, 11:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  So much for the $300 budget!
(I would also put on cross levers (aka interrupter levers) because I like to brake from the top of the bar, in addition to the hoods and drops.) yes they are nice Nigel is right.
Dunno what what size bar you are using but if you want a set of levers I have a new set for 26mm bars, slight blemish on clamp. You can have them for $15 shipped (to Us). They are Tektro RL726 model# If interested just PM me

the $300 was more of a wife thing, a little paypal here, some cash there, if I launder the money right she will be none the wiser! let me measure my bars and I'll get back to you on the levers.

thanks to both you and Nigel on the assistance
Wow, sorry for triple photos, they were not showing last night so I re posted.

BTW I got my Fuji for $100 and put in about $300 setting it up pinching pennies, fortunately I had some parts on hand. That was for a complete bike, keeping most original equipment. Well worth it, love the springy quad butted Valite steel frame.
Never Give Up!!!
(09-09-2013, 11:36 AM)Wilbert Wrote:  
(09-08-2013, 11:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  So much for the $300 budget!

the $300 was more of a wife thing, a little paypal here, some cash there, if I launder the money right she will be none the wiser! let me measure my bars and I'll get back to you on the levers.

thanks to both you and Nigel on the assistance
Ahh the wife thang, What I did was make my wife an integral part of what I do. She helps me find prospective bikes all over the country and sends me links to check out. Then cuts the checks when I need them and takes the cash from me when I sell them too. Sad
(09-09-2013, 04:15 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow, sorry for triple photos, they were not showing last night so I re posted.

BTW I got my Fuji for $100 and put in about $300 setting it up pinching pennies, fortunately I had some parts on hand. That was for a complete bike, keeping most original equipment. Well worth it, love the springy quad butted Valite steel frame.
There is hardly a bike I get that i do not dump a couple Hundred in. Thats why they are nice an can live with for a long time if I want!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ok, getting ready to start to put things together. I'm a little confused about the down tube cable stops, does the housing just go into the hole that is in the first pic or do I need to use it with piece from the second picture? that piece came as is attached to the housing when I got the bike, but there is just the one so I'm assuming if I need to use it I'll need to get another?
hard to tell from the pics but yes you would need to I would think. assuming you have a bottom pull front derailleur. here is a link to mounting the cross-levers. you should have them in a couple days
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/in-line-brake-levers-cross-levers
(09-10-2013, 09:44 PM)Wilbert Wrote:  Ok, getting ready to start to put things together. I'm a little confused about the down tube cable stops, does the housing just go into the hole that is in the first pic or do I need to use it with piece from the second picture? that piece came as is attached to the housing when I got the bike, but there is just the one so I'm assuming if I need to use it I'll need to get another?

No - you need something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SM-CS50-Housing-Stops-Concave/dp/B000C534P6/

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Shift-Boss-Barrel-Stops-Silver/dp/B001GSSDCW/

depending
Nigel
Got everything on and put together in time for a few rides before it gets too cold. Thanks to everyone for support and advice. Looking to replace the brakes over the winter and see how the frame weathers as there is no clear coat on it just the polished aluminum.
Very nice Smile
Nigel
Looks pretty cool Mike! must have went together like clock work. If you do not mind me asking asking. what was the final tally on the budget. were you able to come in under $400. Does it run out like you hoped? I like the raw look in this case, much better than imperfect chipped up paint
Thanks Guys! Right now I'm in about $450 but I wasn't happy with the stopping power of the old dia-compe brakes. I just ordered a new set of sram apex brakes from PBK, think I got a good deal at $54 shipped so grand total should be right around the $500 mark. A little over budget but I'm happy with the results and the bike fits me just right so it should be my daily driver for a good while.
Woot! Congratulations on your build, looks nice! (@ amount spent: we told you Wink but it looks very well spent, so thumbs up!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DaveM

12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Bill

12-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Last Post: davovinch