Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Old to new
I have a 1994 GT that I have added many upgrades to. I would like to get rid of the old FC-TY21 crank set. I really like the hollow tech parts like Deore or DLX. Can I swap this stuff in? Spindle length on the original parts is supposed to be 122.5 mm per http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0032-downloadFile.html/05)%20Crankset%20and%20BB%20Combination%20Chart.pdf Will this equipment interchange?
1994 GT Outpost Trail, most stuff changed
1995 Schwinn 95.3 very stock
If your drivetrain is 7 speed right now and plan on staying that way, I would not put a 9/10 speed crankset on the bike. some pics would be nice of what you have too. need to know more about the "upgrades" you have done.
What type riding do you plan to do with the bike? If mostly road type riding you should stay away from the slx and Deore stuff altogether.
If you just want to improve the bike and keep larger chainrings up front, just get a better square taper crankset than the one you have.
like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-XT-FC-M730-Cold-Forged-Triple-Crankset-NEW-NOS-BUY-IT-NOW-/200960374389?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item2eca2bf675
or this for cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Shimano-Comfort-Series-Crankset-w-170mm-Crankarms-and-48x38x28-Chainrings-/271268512417?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item3f28dd02a1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugino-Impel-150X-170mm-28-38-48-7-8-Speed-Crankset-Silver-Arms-Mountain-Triple-/380556745331?pt=US_Cranksets&hash=item589af31a73
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-05-2013, 10:41 PM)docB Wrote:  ..... Will this equipment interchange?

Short answer - No, not directly.

Longer answer - depends on what other modifications have been made, and what additional modifications you are willing to make.

Also, please note that there are quite a few people who have tried Hollow Tech, and have gone back the square taper or ISIS because of durability.

My World Tourist now has a 10 speed TruVativ compact double, square taper crank and matching TruVativ cartridge BB; with a 7 speed freewheel. A lot of things can be changed.

The current 122.5 BB axle length is a meaningless number in this situation, because the BB axle length is matched to the crankset, not the bike.
Nigel
Shortly after I got the bike I added Deore LX front caliper brakes. I also upgraded from an Altus rear derailer to Alivio, and the front derailer to Alivio. Just about a month ago I replaced the Tourney shifters and the original brake levers with Altus rapidfire and in the process went from 6 speed freewheel to 7 speed. The rear wheel was upgraded last year, too. I am thinking that I hate the 48 tooth chain ring. 170 mm arms. Too much gear to pull. I use the bike on sidewalks, paved trails and streets. I have a rather large frame. Right near the top of my inseam. It works pretty well. I have a more road friendly tread and am getting my kids into riding. Would I need to worry about the chain center line? I probably will stay with sq taper BB.
doc
(09-10-2013, 08:16 PM)docB Wrote:  Shortly after I got the bike I added Deore LX front caliper brakes. I also upgraded from an Altus rear derailer to Alivio, and the front derailer to Alivio. Just about a month ago I replaced the Tourney shifters and the original brake levers with Altus rapidfire and in the process went from 6 speed freewheel to 7 speed. The rear wheel was upgraded last year, too. I am thinking that I hate the 48 tooth chain ring. 170 mm arms. Too much gear to pull. I use the bike on sidewalks, paved trails and streets. I have a rather large frame. Right near the top of my inseam. It works pretty well. I have a more road friendly tread and am getting my kids into riding. Would I need to worry about the chain center line? I probably will stay with sq taper BB.
doc
Thanks for adding more info, however It is starting sound a bit Hodge podge How about some pics of what you are using. or at least model numbers, just alivio is not enough info. pics or model # is more help. your terms may be lacking a pinch. Deore LX calipers? or do you mean Cantilever or V-brakes? 48t to much to pull? do you not have a middle chainring? what is rear cluster high and low tooth count? yes chainline is important once you decide what crankset you will be using, it will have a spec for the proper bb length
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I had some password issues. The photo # 17 shows ty22 parts that came on the bike new in 1994. The blurry photos are 1995 or 96 Alivio derailers (MC-12?) and a 7 speed freewheel (14-28) that got installed to a newer wheel a couple of months ago. The original freewheel was also 14-28. The Deore LX brake parts from the earlier post were cantilever brakes (1990s), now I have linear pull brakes. The Deore LX BR-T670 are only about 10 grams lighter than the Deore BR-M590. Bad money there. I got new cables and housings For the brakes. The local shop had XTR and boy is that stuff nice. Very smooth. The rapid fire shifters make riding more fun. They are ST-EF51 and have a plug to switch pull for linear or cantilever. The reason to move the brakes up.