Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Yikes! What have I done to my front hydraulic brake?
Hello to you all, I'm new here Smile Found my bike with a flat front tyre so turned it upside down, released the wheel and sorted it. Put the wheel back afterwards, turned bike right way up and hopped on it to test all was ok. Straight away noticed squeaking from front disc area - (it has a Shimano hydraulic brake) and when I pulled the brake lever, it went all the way to the handlebar, with the brake itself barely operating. I had a look and the pads and they appear to be in place as they should and I can't see any oil leaks so I have no idea why this has happened! It was fine before. I whipped the wheel off and made sure the disc was located properly which it was. Only improvement is that the sqeak stopped but still no brake. Any ideas?
Cheers folks.

Rich
Hmmm, ok, having just gone out to put the bike away, I find that it has improved and although the travel on the lever is a bit more than it was, I'm sure, it is working again and I think I've just learnt that you shouldn't tip a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down for any length of time!
(09-11-2013, 03:01 PM)gb1ker Wrote:  Hmmm, ok, having just gone out to put the bike away, I find that it has improved and although the travel on the lever is a bit more than it was, I'm sure, it is working again and I think I've just learnt that you shouldn't tip a bike with hydraulic brakes upside down for any length of time!

correct, you should not. that includes hanging from hooks too. if it is not the way it was you should bleed the lines and add new fluid. flush entirely because it is best not mix brands
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Sometimes just loosening up the top cover or taking it off and turning the handlebars so the brake is at its highest may get the bubbles to raise to the top overnight. Tap the lines a few times.

Otherwise you need to bleed the system. Air got into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqlEYJeLQU
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks for the advice, I live and learn!
(09-11-2013, 05:06 PM)painkiller Wrote:  correct, you should not. that includes hanging from hooks too. if it is not the way it was you should bleed the lines and add new fluid. flush entirely because it is best not mix brands

Seriously? You're not supposed to put hydraulic brakes upside down or vertical for more than a few minutes at a time? Remind me again why anyone uses these things. I try not to be a retrogrouch, but seriously, it's getting ridiculous with the scaled down, poorly designed, motorcycle cast off technology that is marginally better performing when it works but prone to constant breakage and need for maintenance. (Don't get me started on having to use a torque wrench to tighten a seat post bolt.)
Seriously? You're not supposed to put hydraulic brakes upside down orvertical for more than a few minutes at a time? Remind me again why anyone uses these things. I try not to be a retrogrouch, but seriously, it's getting ridiculous with the scaled down, poorly designed, motorcycle cast off technology that is marginally better performing when it works but prone to constant breakage and need for maintenance. (Don't get me started on having to use a torque wrench to tighten a seat post bolt.)
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree simple two wheel low tech bicycles are being ciacka driven for people who want the latest fashion. Sell, sell..... Yeh BDDT seen lots of must have stuff come and go. My friction shifters and rim brakes work fine and are light.
cannot conceive of any need for complicated hydraulic brakes on a bicycle, that most riders cannot service. Unless you have medical issues with your hands. Than its a good thing..........
Never Give Up!!!
(09-12-2013, 12:23 PM)DaveM Wrote:  
(09-11-2013, 05:06 PM)painkiller Wrote:  correct, you should not. that includes hanging from hooks too. if it is not the way it was you should bleed the lines and add new fluid. flush entirely because it is best not mix brands

Seriously? You're not supposed to put hydraulic brakes upside down or vertical for more than a few minutes at a time? Remind me again why anyone uses these things. I try not to be a retrogrouch, but seriously, it's getting ridiculous with the scaled down, poorly designed, motorcycle cast off technology that is marginally better performing when it works but prone to constant breakage and need for maintenance. (Don't get me started on having to use a torque wrench to tighten a seat post bolt.)

I never had a problem with the brakes in my year and a half of ownershiptof this bike and in fairness, in my motorbiking days I never stored them upside down for any length of time...

Possibly Related Threads...