Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Help with adjustment with Symmetric shifter

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
krashTest Offline

Help with adjustment with Symmetric shifter
Hello to all. I would very much appreciate help in adjusting the shifters on my 5-speed CCM elite cruiser. I must admit I am semi-mentally challenged when adjusting the derailleurs/shifters on any bike and this one is no exception. Currently the shifter is in total disarray.

As you may notice from the photos, the shifter is a SunTour Symmetric shifter. The problem that I often experience is that the shifter will slowly begin to shift up into the highest gear when riding the bike. This doesn't happen initially but will eventually do so after a dozen rides or so.

After screwing around with the cable tension, the bike is stuck in 4th gear with the front shifter in the up position. I understand some of the basics but I just don't understand the trouble-shooting process.

I require step by step instruction. What do I do first and why? Think of this as if you were explaining how to diffuse a bomb to a child.

'Ol Dusty wants to get back on the road and would be grateful for any help. I too would also be very grateful.

Cheers,

ps- I'm aware the cable is a bit frayed and plan to replace the cable and housing and get an end cap back on.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Jul 29, 2012 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

RE: Help with adjustment with Symmetric shifter
The sliding up to high gear issue should be fixed by tightening the screw on the side of the shifter a little.

For step-by-step, go here: http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/
Note that you can ignore all the stuff about adjusting the cable tension since you don't have indexed shifting. Basically you need to set your high and low limit screws, put it in high gear and take any slack out of the cable, done. (Assuming everything is in working order.)
Jul 30, 2012 12:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krashTest Offline

RE: Help with adjustment with Symmetric shifter
Sorry for my lateness but thanks for the reply. It appeared to be a combination of things, the B limit and a frayed brake cable from my guess. Once I replaced it and adjusted the screws, it came together relatively quickly. It was a real hands on process, but now shifts better than anytime I've had the bike.

I was able to get my hands on another bike that has the same type of shifting, so it was beneficial to adjust them as well.

I feel a real sense of accomplishment having adjusted them.

Cheers!
Oct 1, 2012 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mystery twist grip shifter Bunter 3 7,694 Oct 25, 2014 12:27 AM
Last Post: Daccordidavid
  Help Please: RED Yaw FD Adjustment verve825 1 186 Oct 18, 2014 03:52 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Need Advice on Thumb Shifter kauls00 6 844 Oct 3, 2014 11:53 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Little string inside shifter is broken. What should I do? jeracravo 10 816 Sep 16, 2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: jeracravo
  Convert down tube shifter to STI shifters with Campag 980 6 x 2 speed JoeHigh 6 813 Sep 8, 2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Shimano shifter replacement question Cormitt 3 958 Aug 26, 2014 09:06 AM
  Shifter does not "hold" manaspaldhe12 7 1,256 Aug 4, 2014 06:28 PM
Last Post: manaspaldhe12
  Shifter Cable in FD Won't Listen Wazzawazzarum 3 714 Jul 16, 2014 05:17 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Shifter moves all the way to high gear by itself juxpin 2 921 Jul 16, 2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 887 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM