Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Oversized inner tube?
I purchased a road bike that is a lemon I'm afraid.

I noticed I could hardly pump up the rear wheel because the inner tube would actual push out and push a small part of the tyre off the rim.

Decided to run the rear tyre with a softer pressure at around 80-90psi, when riding obviously with my weight the pressure was too much and caused a part of the rim to jump off this must have caused the inner tube to pinch because with an almighty bang it went and I ended up walking the bike home.

Question is did this happen because my inner tube was oversized? The tyres look fairly new so would be surprised if it was an issue with the tyres?
(10-11-2013, 07:39 PM)Acebars Wrote:  I purchased a road bike that is a lemon I'm afraid.

I noticed I could hardly pump up the rear wheel because the inner tube would actual push out and push a small part of the tyre off the rim.

Decided to run the rear tyre with a softer pressure at around 80-90psi, when riding obviously with my weight the pressure was too much and caused a part of the rim to jump off this must have caused the inner tube to pinch because with an almighty bang it went and I ended up walking the bike home.

Question is did this happen because my inner tube was oversized? The tyres look fairly new so would be surprised if it was an issue with the tyres?

What make of rims are on the bike? if its an early 80s bike they might be araya rims wich have been known to do what you describe....I know, I had a pair of them. I changed rims to Weinmann 215 and had no more problems. My tires are Serfas Seca 27x1.25 100 psi. I had to drop the pressure down to 85 psi to keep them on the rim because arayas don't have the inner hook that most tires need. I hope this helps.
BLBaszis
You have typing errors so I'm not sure exactly what happened, but we need to know what size tire & what rim width, what size tube & how much you weigh.
We also need confirmation that the rim has a lip and is not an old straight wall "hookless".
not likely an oversize inner tube.

most likely - hookless rims as mentioned above, followed by poor installation.

I have no trouble using a 35-45 thorn resistant tube in a 28 tire at over 100 psi. Rim is hooked.
not likely an oversize inner tube.

most likely - hookless rims as mentioned above, followed by poor installation.

I have no trouble using a 35-45 thorn resistant tube in a 28 tire at over 100 psi. Rim is hooked.
Nigel
I am confused what did the rim jump off of. Maybe the tire slipped out of the rim? If the rim jumped of you have a broken wheel.
Yes some stats would be helpful. What bike, what rim look at rim for stamp, etc.... BTW its not the whole bike that's a lemon if the tire blows.....

Photo of rim inside edges?
Never Give Up!!!
(10-12-2013, 02:10 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  I am confused what did the rim jump off of.

My apologies I made a typo error this is what that erroneous part of my original post should have said:

Quote:and caused a part of the tyre to jump off the rim, this must have caused the inner tube to pinch because with an almighty bang it went and I ended up walking the bike home.

(10-12-2013, 02:10 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Maybe the tire slipped out of the rim? If the rim jumped of you have a broken wheel.
Yes some stats would be helpful. What bike, what rim look at rim for stamp, etc.... BTW its not the whole bike that's a lemon if the tire blows.....

Photo of rim inside edges?

Yes the tyre slipped out of the rim..

I will get you photos today, bike is a Carlton Reynolds 531 reason it's a lemon is because many things on it have been changed and messed around, rear wheel only just about fits on it has gear issues etc. etc.

Quote:We also need confirmation that the rim has a lip and is not an old straight wall "hookless".

Ok what do I look for to determine this, I will be taking photos..
Please feel free to send me any 531 bicycle frames or bicycles you have - I will be happy to adopt them and give them a good home Smile They will live in the company of a Jack Taylor tandem. Smile
Nigel
Please feel free to send me any 531 bicycle frames or bicycles you have - I will be happy to adopt them and give them a good home Smile They will live in the company of a Jack Taylor tandem. Smile
Nigel
Erm well I'd like to keep the 531 frame thanks but you are welcome to have the crappy wheels and gears that have been put on it, if you pay the postage from the UK? Smile
Hey Nigel I thing your send button is stuck, you are double posting.

As per bike its good to know where you are when you post as locals may have better familiarity with whats available.

Look inside rim carefully, are the sides smooth or do the have a lip on the outer edge. As per bike if its such a mess I hope you did not pay a lot for it. The frame sounds OK if its good quality and butted 531.(different inside thickness for strength where needed and thin where not needed)
Never Give Up!!!
Quote:As per bike if its such a mess I hope you did not pay a lot for it.

I bought it on ebay, and I should have sent it back, I thought it was all original in which case it would have been an average to bad buy, so yes in it's current state I definitely overpaid.

Quote:Look inside rim carefully, are the sides smooth or do the have a lip on the outer edge.

I think it has a lip, the tyre certainly does seems to have a hook as you've put it and it's almost like breaking the bead on a motorcycle when I'm pulling on the tyre here are some photos, sorry about the quality.
Tyre brand is Innova 700 X 28C

[Image: IMG_3916_zpse5cf624e.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3917_zps54f461d5.jpg]

I found a big hole near the valve of the inner tube. Also the inside of the tyre appears to be damaged with some wire sticking out. I believe this could have been the problem. So the guy really sold me a lemon bike.

Will this be the cause of the problem?

[Image: IMG_3920_zps12787874.jpg]
A tire in that condition will definitely let the tube blow out, you have to replace it.
Note that it looks to me like you have steel rims which may have straight, and not hooked inner walls. If so, they're still perfectly ridable, but you have to be a bit more cautious mounting the tire to make sure it is even all the way around. And you probably cannot go super narrow or high pressure on the tires. Check the inside of the rims for burrs or rough edges that might need to be sanded.

If I'm right and those are steel rims, there's no way they're the original wheels on a 531 frame bike. Low end and/or old replacements.
(10-13-2013, 01:07 AM)DaveM Wrote:  may have straight, and not hooked inner walls. If so, they're still perfectly ridable, but you have to be a bit more cautious mounting the tire to make sure it is even all the way around.
That's why I asked for weight. If the rider is too heavy, lipless (hookless) rims are a disaster waiting to happen.
Quote:A tire in that condition will definitely let the tube blow out, you have to replace it.

Ah ok thank you very much, nice to know what caused it, I'll be ordering some more tyres and tubes today.

Quote:Note that it looks to me like you have steel rims which may have straight, and not hooked inner walls.

Well I can't see it too well myself but I'm pretty sure it's hooked as I had to break the bead at certain points, also the front wheel is the same rim and I can pump the pressure really high.

Quote:If I'm right and those are steel rims, there's no way they're the original wheels on a 531 frame bike. Low end and/or old replacements.

Absolutely, they are chromed steel and are low end crappy replacements. The rear wheel only gets on if I mallet it on with a hammer I presume the axle is too thick, this is also the source of my gearing issues.

I've been scratching my head since I bought this bike and as I'm relatively new to this, any idea what actual wheels are meant to be on this bike? Axle thickness etc.

Lastly wanted to thank you all for being so helpful really great forum..
Which came first, the Bicycle or the Hammer? LOL
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Quote:Which came first, the Bicycle or the Hammer? LOL

Not sure, but certainly would like to put a hammer through the PO's face. Big Grin

Anyway new tyres and tubes came, sorted the problem out, rims are hookless but still get high pressure. Thanks all for the help..