Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fork misalignment? Front wheel not fitting!
Hello all,
Any helpful comments to my predicament would be damn bloody marvellous since I really want to take my bike out before the snow comes where I live (in Sweden!).
Since I bought this bike 2nd hand 6 months ago the front wheel has always been not quite right. It never ran true, but since I bought a fresh wheel the problem has been exacerbated to the extent that I can no longer fit the wheel at all!
[See Pics] So, what happens when I try to fit the wheel is that it looks straight but whenever I get to those final few turns of the spanner to finally tighten the wheel to the drops the whole thing pops out on one of the sides! I suspect the front fork drops might be bent or the whole fork misaligned. Some hammering with a rubber mallet has straightened things a bit (I think), yet the issue is persisting. Why oh why do they pop out at that final stage of tightening!
Help much appreciated! Cheers,
Joe
More pics...
Those dropouts don't look right,have you tried a quick release style front wheel?
(10-12-2013, 02:10 PM)torquecyclerepairs Wrote:  Those dropouts don't look right,have you tried a quick release style front wheel?

Hi,
no I havent tried them with a quick release front wheel, nor do I have one to hand that I could try it with.
In what why dont you think they look right?
Cheers.
The opening, before it tapers to approximate axle diameter, seems over sized.
You can visually check the fork drop out alignment with the wheel sitting in the forks, gently tightening one side at a time, this is just an approximation. I make a gauge with sockets from a tool set that is a cheap copy of this tool.
[Image: 9af1957280026f82fcd5111e382346da3ffbef43_430x390.jpg]

[Image: 11cc619320eb0422433c6c7d3e310f8873bcfa22_430x390.jpg]

I'm a coward, you couldn't pay me to use a QR wheel in that fork, I use bolted wheels in forks without lawyer lips.
I'd be replacing that fork; not riding on it.
Nigel
(10-12-2013, 11:56 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I'd be replacing that fork; not riding on it.
What don't you like, the shape of the drop outs or the fact that they need a tweak and the bike has an unknown history?
It looks like someone has filed those dropouts at some point
(10-13-2013, 12:19 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(10-12-2013, 11:56 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I'd be replacing that fork; not riding on it.
What don't you like, the shape of the drop outs or the fact that they need a tweak and the bike has an unknown history?

you got it Smile the idea of a fork breaking is terrifying to me.

it is evident from the pictures that someone has been messing with the fork.......
Nigel
Thanks to all for the varied and constructive replies.

Indeed the bike was bought 2nd hand, and I bear no responsibility for the shape of the dropouts of the fork. Quite why one of them appears to be misshapen will remain a mystery, I think. Their silvery-shiney-steel appearance is mainly due to my fiddling about with trying to get the wheel on recently, rather than any life-threatening messing about with the forks.

Since I havent got the means in my rented accommodation at present I think I might ask my local bike shop to check out the alignment of the fork and recommend next steps. Whether this is minor bending of the steel or total replacement of the fork, I'll have to see. Though I will heed the advice here that it is foolish to ride on a fork not totally safe.
UPDATE.
I'm going to buy a new fork. Since finding forks compatible with 80s peugeot's is a total fucker, let me know if on the off chance anyone has a spare one theyd like to sell me. Otherwise i'm going to be having a bit of a hunt. Wish me luck.
(10-16-2013, 10:45 AM)joeyc Wrote:  UPDATE.
I'm going to buy a new fork. Since finding forks compatible with 80s peugeot's is a total fucker, let me know if on the off chance anyone has a spare one theyd like to sell me. Otherwise i'm going to be having a bit of a hunt. Wish me luck.
it does not have to be exactly the same; a new fork and a new headset for 1" threaded should be fine.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...