Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hello and need price check please
Found this forum by googling a bike I am considering buying. Brittany Free Spirit 12 spd. 21" frame. Just a quick glance bike is in VGC cosmetically. Am going back Sat to go over it thoroughly. I know most of what to look for. Wheels true, bearings, loose/damaged components etc. Question: is it worth the $75.00 minimum asking price? As I said, lookswise it is really nice. No rust. Paint is 99.9% there. Chhrome is very clean. Has carrying rack on rear. When was last year of production? It has the old style coaster bike handlebars which is why I looked at it in the first place. I'm too old for the racing style handlebars. Thanks in advance for any insight and help you have for me.
Joe
Joe
If there's no major issues, I'd definitely say well worth $50-$100. These are usually fairly low end bikes, but good solid transport if they're working well.

Check the tires for cracks and plan on replacing the brake pads unless they're quite new. Spin the wheels and listen at the hub for crackling sounds (signs of bad bearings). Take a fridge magnet with you to test if the rim are steel or aluminum. Aluminum rims are a big +, but not necessary by any means.
compare to what is out there like this
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.341572805871.162352.186643550871&type=1
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-21-2013, 05:13 PM)DaveM Wrote:  If there's no major issues, I'd definitely say well worth $50-$100. These are usually fairly low end bikes, but good solid transport if they're working well.

Check the tires for cracks and plan on replacing the brake pads unless they're quite new. Spin the wheels and listen at the hub for crackling sounds (signs of bad bearings). Take a fridge magnet with you to test if the rim are steel or aluminum. Aluminum rims are a big +, but not necessary by any means.

Yep. Thanks for the magnet tip. I figure they'll be steel. I picked the bike up and it's heavy. I'll be double sure to check all the components. Going to take air pump to air the tires for test ride. This bike looks like it was hardly used. I expect the tires will probably need to be replaced. Big thing is this buke has everything I was looking for. Top mount shifters, 10- 12 speeds. Old school handlebars. Bike rack. Only thing that I may have to change is the seat. Not planning cross country rides. Just kmockin' around town. Grocery getter
Joe
Joe
"Heavy" is no indicator of the material used. Department store bikes made of aluminium have (much) heavier frames than good steel ones.

Replace tyres & tubes, brake pads, cables, housing, clean and grease all bearings (hubs, headset, bottom bracket).
(10-22-2013, 09:11 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  "Heavy" is no indicator of the material used. Department store bikes made of aluminium have (much) heavier frames than good steel ones.

Replace tyres & tubes, brake pads, cables, housing, clean and grease all bearings (hubs, headset, bottom bracket).

I understand. I've always determined the heavier the bike the more cheaply it's made. At least as far as road bikes are concerned. I'm not a stranger to bikemriding by any means. It's just I haven't had one for many years and I no longer know the prices. I've had Schwinns, Columbia, Kabuki, and a really wonderful old hand built English bike that I rode for literally thousands of miles. That was all 40 years ago. Some of these bikes were pretty lightweight. I bought a really nice bike a couple of years ago at a yard sale for about $50.00. It weighed next to nothing. Shifters way down on the lower tube, too tall, but I knew it was a good bike (dang if I can recall tne name but jt was pearl with red trim and cromoly frame) Ran it on Wash. DC craigslist for $225.00 and sold it in one day. Young guy that bought it went nuts when he saw it.
Joe

Possibly Related Threads...