Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Barrell adjuster not working on new bike
Brought my new road bike online and had it delivered just yesterday. Came mostly assembled with just the front wheel to attach and handlebars to straighten out.

In the process of self bike fitting I noticed when just going up and down the road that the front derailleur was not set up correctly and the chain was rubbing when using the 2 biggest cassette rings. In finally getting this sorted, which was easier said than done, my friend who helped me noticed that the derailleur barrel adjuster didn't appear to change the cable tension in any way. Now at one point during my failed attempts to sort the gearing issue out I did turn it several times anti clockwise so don't know if this messed things up.

My question is whether it is likely that my barrel adjuster is faulty (don't know how they work so have no idea if this can be the case) of whether it is just a simply readjustment to get it doing its job again? If so how would I do this? I don't want to mess up my derailleur too much now that the gears are finally behaving.

A further question would be as to whether it will even matter too much at the moment if the barrel adjuster isn't working if the gears shift OK?

In case it makes a difference the bike is a Giant Defy 1. I know in a perfect world the seller would be responsible for sorting any problems out this soon after purchase but the thought, and initial cost, of shipping it back across country does not appeal.
Here are two sources of information..........Good luck

http://bikeride.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
Never Give Up!!!
number 1# rule
"Professional Assembly required" when buying a boxed bicycle it does not come assembled, only packed for ship. I personally wish they would not do me any favors by stringing,cutting and crimping cables before I get them. the proper way to start the "Build" is this as follows.
1. True and check dish of wheels
2. Gauge rear derailleur alignment
3. Disconnect Derailleur cables
3. Check/set front derailleur height
4. set front derailleur high/low limit screws
5. Set rear derailluer High/low limit screws
6. proceed with Tech docs for your equippment
Step 1 and 2 are a must for fine tuning to the best that it can be, NO EXCEPTIONS HERE, no matter what someone else tells you. #2 requires a Derailluer alignment Gauge. Much more detail and expense required to properly and professionally assemble a bicycle. If you do not plan to go "All in", I recommend you pay a reputable shop to do it. Then learn how to maintain and work on your bicycle from that point on. I should make note that it is no guarantee the shop will perform the task as in #2 either. Cannot control that, just stating how it should be done.
Rule #2. Never assume its okay, check the hanger alignment. Start right right off the bat. Number 1 tool overlooked by home mechanics and even so called shops.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks guys.

Bike was advertised as coming fully assembled and is mostly fine. The only issue as stated was the poor job on the front derailleur, the rear is tuned in OK.

Can somebody explain how the barrel adjuster works and whether it is likely that it can be brought back to effective order.
are you talking about an in line adjuster? which one? how about a pic of the one you are talking about
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-19-2013, 07:44 PM)painkiller Wrote:  are you talking about an in line adjuster? which one? how about a pic of the one you are talking about

Yes. On my bike it sits near the top of the front gear cable near the handlebars. Just doesn't seem to tighten or loosen the gear cable at all.
Pictures required.

Are the derailleurs Shimano? On Shimano adjusters you need to pull the barrel up/out to engage the adjustment screw.
Nigel
(10-20-2013, 09:47 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Pictures required.

Are the derailleurs Shimano? On Shimano adjusters you need to pull the barrel up/out to engage the adjustment screw.

Wow is it really that simple. Yes shifters are Shimano 105s. I will check to see if this is it.

Possibly Related Threads...