Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Replacing V-brakes, now confused.

Related video tutorials:
rowtuh Offline

Replacing V-brakes, now confused.
http://imgur.com/a/SGOXi#0

I have a bike I've been using for a year that I got for free. Recently the brakes stopped working. I'm a poor-of-the-poor college student majoring in something totally unrelated to bicycle repair and don't know what I'm doing.

The not-well-treated-before-I-got-it bike was a Huffy Stalker (thus why I got it for free). It has no cantilever mounts, thus the adapter plate.

I don't know what I'm doing. The paper instructions are esoteric and now I don't even understand videos online.

Help meeeee. I mean, uh, please.

Right now I have $35 as my spending budget and may or may not get any more for the next few months.

If you'd like the images inline here I can put them in image tags, too.
Aug 24, 2012 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xerxes Offline
Veteran Member

Kent, UK
RE: Replacing V-brakes, now confused.
Hi,

Basically you fit the U shaped part to the standard brake hole at the top of the forks, or on the seat stay bridge, if it's being fitted to the rear, using the long bolt. The V brake arms then fit on the cantilever bosses on the U shaped part, then set up as normal for V brakes.

Brakes can be fiddly to set up if you're not sure what you're doing, do you have any friends or relatives that are cyclists and that might be able to help you out and give you some pointers?
Aug 24, 2012 11:22 AM
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

BTW, it looks to me like you have one brake cable and one gear cable in your pictures. Make sure you use the thicker brake cable, not the thinner gear one.
Aug 24, 2012 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xerxes Offline
Veteran Member

Kent, UK
Also, did you get a lever with the kit? V brakes need a specific V brake lever, the pivot is in a different place to other brake levers and if you use a standard brake lever with a V brake it will work, but you have to pull the lever a lot further and it will possibly touch the handlebar before the brake is fully applied.
Aug 24, 2012 12:18 PM
rowtuh Offline

(Aug 24, 2012 12:18 PM)xerxes Wrote:  Also, did you get a lever with the kit? V brakes need a specific V brake lever, the pivot is in a different place to other brake levers and if you use a standard brake lever with a V brake it will work, but you have to pull the lever a lot further and it will possibly touch the handlebar before the brake is fully applied.

I don't think so. Are you referring to the lever you physically pull? If so, I didn't. Would it be recommended that I invest in those?

(Aug 24, 2012 12:09 PM)DaveM Wrote:  BTW, it looks to me like you have one brake cable and one gear cable in your pictures. Make sure you use the thicker brake cable, not the thinner gear one.

Yeah, I got a cable kit, not just a brake cable. Thanks for clearing up which it was. I was still unsure.

(Aug 24, 2012 11:22 AM)xerxes Wrote:  Hi,

Basically you fit the U shaped part to the standard brake hole at the top of the forks, or on the seat stay bridge, if it's being fitted to the rear, using the long bolt. The V brake arms then fit on the cantilever bosses on the U shaped part, then set up as normal for V brakes.

Am I supposed to remove this part?

EDIT: OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE I'M SORRY

edit: removed image tags i dont know what im doing

http://i.imgur.com/npo4F.jpg

(Aug 24, 2012 11:22 AM)xerxes Wrote:  Brakes can be fiddly to set up if you're not sure what you're doing, do you have any friends or relatives that are cyclists and that might be able to help you out and give you some pointers?

I just asked on Facebook, I'll see how that turns out I've been pretty confident with everything I can find on video, but I don't know why my adapter plate seems to have nowhere for the v-brake "nubs" down by the hinge point, mentioned here at 1:47.
Aug 24, 2012 12:33 PM
xerxes Offline
Veteran Member

Kent, UK
Quote:Am I supposed to remove this part?

Yes, remove that and use the one with the kit, the long bolt shown at the bottom right of your fist picture.

Quote:I don't think so. Are you referring to the lever you physically pull?

Yes, the lever that fits on the handlebar:

[Image: 31mBIrUM8aL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

With regard to the "nubs", did you buy this as a complete kit? Looking at your original pictures, the U shaped bracket, has no holes to fit the "nub" into. Also, that U bracket isn't long enough, for V brakes the pivot point is well bellow the rim, whereas that U bracket will be too short, look at the one in the video, it's much longer.
Aug 25, 2012 03:23 AM
rowtuh Offline

(Aug 25, 2012 03:23 AM)xerxes Wrote:  With regard to the "nubs", did you buy this as a complete kit?

No - the brakes were one kit, the cables were another kit, I ordered the plate from Dans Comp (after I had the rest) when a cyclist suggested it, and I already had these tools.

(Aug 25, 2012 03:23 AM)xerxes Wrote:  Looking at your original pictures, the U shaped bracket, has no holes to fit the "nub" into. Also, that U bracket isn't long enough, for V brakes the pivot point is well bellow the rim, whereas that U bracket will be too short, look at the one in the video, it's much longer.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Yeah.
Aug 25, 2012 10:43 AM
RobAR Offline
Veteran Member

Mountain Home, AR
Dans Comp is probably the Worlds Greatest online resource for BMX bike parts! And they do BMX parts very well. BUT - that's ALL they do.
Hard to tell by the discussion but, it sounds to me as if you accidentally ordered a U-Brake kit? As differant as a Zebra and a Tiger even though both are striped.

Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Aug 25, 2012 06:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rowtuh Offline

(Aug 25, 2012 06:37 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Dans Comp is probably the Worlds Greatest online resource for BMX bike parts! And they do BMX parts very well. BUT - that's ALL they do.
Hard to tell by the discussion but, it sounds to me as if you accidentally ordered a U-Brake kit? As differant as a Zebra and a Tiger even though both are striped.

Yeah, I've just ordered my V-brake plate. It should be here in time for next week's classes. Hopefully that's all I end up needing.

I have to decide whether to keep or return my U-brake plate now. It's rather inexpensive relative to its weight, so shipping might be killer.
Aug 26, 2012 08:13 AM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
No worries we all get excited and made mistakes like sometime in our life. Always use the extra plate for a practice Horse Shoe Big Grin

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Aug 27, 2012 05:54 AM
xerxes Offline
Veteran Member

Kent, UK
I found this: http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-BRAKEACCESS/489051/V-Brake_Plate.html

It's much longer than you're original, it has the holes for the "nub" on the brake arms and it also has two slots on the lower part of the "U" so that you can tie it to the fork legs/seat stays. I think you're supposed to use hose clips, like this:

[Image: ha819.jpg]
Aug 27, 2012 06:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bmx back brakes not springing/working Blaste37 3 107 Jul 30, 2014 08:42 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Hydraulic brakes leak unknown 2 341 Jun 17, 2014 06:55 AM
Last Post: unknown
  How to fix old dual lever brakes- plastic spacer broken Justine 2 692 Apr 21, 2014 07:31 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Fixing coaster brakes jlhoff350 2 907 Mar 17, 2014 04:44 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Question about brakes RetFor 35 3,211 Mar 15, 2014 08:09 PM
Last Post: RetFor
  Cantilever Brakes - Missing Parts Unknown Number 3 1,317 Nov 5, 2013 06:49 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Adjusting brakes and pads PBells 2 1,555 Sep 13, 2013 04:58 PM
  Help with replacing spring on cantilever brake buzz 2 1,932 Jul 9, 2013 01:16 PM
Last Post: buzz
  How to configure front brakes: speb 6 2,636 Jun 4, 2013 01:34 AM
  Help me to identify these disc brakes waltt 3 1,502 May 18, 2013 11:49 AM
Last Post: torquecyclerepairs