Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Need New Rear MB Wheel

Related video tutorials:
hengy Offline

Need New Rear MB Wheel
I've got a Gary fisher Paragon from 1995, still a great bike. I need a new rear wheel.
Gary Fisher Paragon 1995
I'd like to rebuild it a bit starting with the rear wheel, any suggestions? I can do the work myself but don't know about parts I might need.
Aug 25, 2012 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobAR Offline
Veteran Member

Mountain Home, AR
RE: Need New Rear MB Wheel
Hi hengy. Welcome to BT!
I'm not sure what you're asking... is your rear wheel trashed and you need a replacement or, are you looking to rebuild the wheel?
The LX hub laced to a Bontrager BCX-2 rim was a schweet wheel and I would rebuild it if not trashed. Parts are still available for that hub.

Rob

Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Aug 25, 2012 05:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hengy Offline

Really, so you think I should bring it in and have it rebuilt, maybe a new rim? keeping the same hub? It has a bit of a wobble in it and I'm a 190lb guy. Just figured it might be a bit worn out.

(Aug 25, 2012 05:26 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi hengy. Welcome to BT!
I'm not sure what you're asking... is your rear wheel trashed and you need a replacement or, are you looking to rebuild the wheel?
The LX hub laced to a Bontrager BCX-2 rim was a schweet wheel and I would rebuild it if not trashed. Parts are still available for that hub.

Rob
Aug 25, 2012 07:21 PM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
YES deore lx is the stuff in shimano hubs my friend and if rob likes then it is good stuff!!! Tongue

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Aug 25, 2012 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
Why do you want a new rim? Sounds like clean the bearings, new balls, new grease, and possibly a truing is in order.

Nigel
Aug 26, 2012 12:11 AM
RobAR Offline
Veteran Member

Mountain Home, AR
190 lbs is not heavy unless you are 4 feet tall. Smile Do you look like a beach-ball with little appendages here and there?? LOL
I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs and hard on my equipment. My two fave MTbikes are also from the '90s.
Without more details, we can't answer your question. Why do you think the rim needs replaced? Does it look like a taco shell? Any broken spokes? Braking surface worn thin?
As I said, unless that LX hub is just totally trashed, replacement cones and ball bearings (and even axles) are readily available. If the cups (pressed into the hub shell) are galled, go for a new wheel.

Just a side note - If my memory hasn't failed me, Bontrager BCX rims were manufactured and re-labled by Weinmann. BCX-2 was a double-walled rim equivalent to the venerable ZAC 19 which is still produced today.

Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Aug 26, 2012 07:03 AM
hengy Offline

Thanks guys, seems like sound advice. I think I'll just have it rebuilt. Needs a spoke and some trueing probably.

(Aug 26, 2012 07:03 AM)RobAR Wrote:  190 lbs is not heavy unless you are 4 feet tall. Smile Do you look like a beach-ball with little appendages here and there?? LOL
I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs and hard on my equipment. My two fave MTbikes are also from the '90s.
Without more details, we can't answer your question. Why do you think the rim needs replaced? Does it look like a taco shell? Any broken spokes? Braking surface worn thin?
As I said, unless that LX hub is just totally trashed, replacement cones and ball bearings (and even axles) are readily available. If the cups (pressed into the hub shell) are galled, go for a new wheel.

Just a side note - If my memory hasn't failed me, Bontrager BCX rims were manufactured and re-labled by Weinmann. BCX-2 was a double-walled rim equivalent to the venerable ZAC 19 which is still produced today.
Aug 26, 2012 07:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wheel build problem blingybob 10 358 Jul 17, 2014 05:21 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Rear Wheel Nuts won't screw in Pugceratops 1 206 Jul 16, 2014 01:49 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Rear hub replacement to disc brake type dexterdancer1 1 304 Jul 3, 2014 08:18 AM
  Stolen Back Wheel, need replacement camhart 9 603 Jun 24, 2014 02:28 PM
Last Post: camhart
  Need help! Problem with skewer, wheel, frame? RoxiLa5 1 346 Jun 20, 2014 01:19 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Help needed on broken wheel... ibie1983 9 606 Jun 12, 2014 01:53 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Help with rear hub pls. igoris.bo 6 637 Jun 9, 2014 11:07 AM
  Replace rear rim/gear set dkhack 6 500 Jun 5, 2014 04:49 AM
Last Post: dkhack
  Replacing a rear axle with a quick release ConfusedMonkey 8 7,435 Jun 2, 2014 05:25 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  What spoke lengths for rear wheel M529 and Rhyno Lite? TrailShredder 9 736 Apr 25, 2014 08:23 AM