Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cantilever Brakes - Missing Parts
i just bought a mid 90's Giant Yukon and its missing the 'yoke' i believe its called on both front and rear and i believe [based on looking at another giant bike i have] that it also needs some type of roller pulley piece for the rear brake to function properly. as it is now the brakes consist of just the calipers and worn out pads. the front has the cable connected to the lever on handlebar but it ends right where it would connect to the yoke and cable that connects to each side.

so it seems my front brakes could be fixed easily by getting a yoke and cable, but my question is mainly about the rear. as of now there is not even a cable running to the rear, just an empty lever, so would it be easier to buy a whole new brake system than it would be to find the parts needed to set it up the way it was made? google searches havent helped me find the exact mounting style pulley i would need if they are even still made.

basically im not too familiar with the different styles of brakes available now or other components actually as this is the first bike ive owned in over 20 years and i just want to have it running safely for the small amount of bike trips i take with the kids. attached are a few pics, any help would be appreciated, thanks

[attachment=4645][attachment=4646][attachment=4647]
the loop in the rear is a cable stop, and you need a link wire like these. set up like this in the pic
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
thanks, picked up a set at local bike shop today and everything worked out good
Good deal!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...