Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

SRAM X0 trigger shifter with Shimano Front Derailleur?
I'm upgrading my Dahon MU SL folding bike from 9 to 18 speeds by adding a 2nd chainring in front.

I want to use an SRAM X9 or X0 trigger shift as the bike has a flat bar instead of a bull/drop bar, and the bike is currently equipped with X9 shifter/rear derailleurs.

The crank will have a 53T and 39T chainrings and are not compatible with SRAM X9 front derailleurs (48T max) due to the big 53T chainring.

I'm thinking of using a either SRAM Apex/Rival or Shimano 105/Tiagra front derailleurs, but want to use an SRAM X0 or X9 2 speed trigger shifter.

Are the Shimano or SRAM front derailleurs compatible with the indexing on the X0 or X9 trigger shifters?

Thanks for any info.
Since Shimano and SRAM use a 1:1 actuation for their front derailleur, it should do the job...
(12-06-2013, 11:57 AM)bobtravers Wrote:  Since Shimano and SRAM use a 1:1 actuation for their front derailleur, it should do the job...

Thanks for the info.
(12-05-2013, 11:51 PM)gregw Wrote:  I'm upgrading my Dahon MU SL folding bike from 9 to 18 speeds by adding a 2nd chainring in front.

I want to use an SRAM X9 or X0 trigger shift as the bike has a flat bar instead of a bull/drop bar, and the bike is currently equipped with X9 shifter/rear derailleurs.

The crank will have a 53T and 39T chainrings and are not compatible with SRAM X9 front derailleurs (48T max) due to the big 53T chainring.

I'm thinking of using a either SRAM Apex/Rival or Shimano 105/Tiagra front derailleurs, but want to use an SRAM X0 or X9 2 speed trigger shifter.

Are the Shimano or SRAM front derailleurs compatible with the indexing on the X0 or X9 trigger shifters?

Thanks for any info.

How did it work? I have a Dahon MuSL, what I am curious about...how did you mount the derailleur in front? There isnt a lot of room there, and my bike has a chain catcher mounted in there also.

Any advice? I would like to do the same thing!.

Don
(01-22-2014, 12:27 AM)vidger Wrote:  How did it work? I have a Dahon MuSL, what I am curious about...how did you mount the derailleur in front? There isnt a lot of room there, and my bike has a chain catcher mounted in there also.

Don

Just got the parts together.. Haven't put them on the bike yet. Ended up getting a X0 shift and a Shimano 105 front derailleur. For the FD mount, I bought http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3145438447 locally.

You can buy a similar one from Thor USA at: http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/special.htm (look for 'Dahon MU front derailleur hanger')

You replace the chain catcher with the front derailleur hanger and mount the front derailleur there. For the crank, replace the chain ring guard with the 53T, and put the 39T chainring inside. That should be it.
(01-22-2014, 04:37 AM)gregw Wrote:  
(01-22-2014, 12:27 AM)vidger Wrote:  How did it work? I have a Dahon MuSL, what I am curious about...how did you mount the derailleur in front? There isnt a lot of room there, and my bike has a chain catcher mounted in there also.

Don

Just got the parts together.. Haven't put them on the bike yet. Ended up getting a X0 shift and a Shimano 105 front derailleur. For the FD mount, I bought http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3145438447 locally.

You can buy a similar one from Thor USA at: http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/special.htm (look for 'Dahon MU front derailleur hanger')

You replace the chain catcher with the front derailleur hanger and mount the front derailleur there. For the crank, replace the chain ring guard with the 53T, and put the 39T chainring inside. That should be it.

I have got all the parts and started...NOW...

any suggestions for installing cable housing stop. Know of any cable stop adapters, etc that you can mount to the (?bottom) of the Bottom Bracket?

appreciate all the help
Don
(01-28-2014, 10:27 PM)vidger Wrote:  I have got all the parts and started...NOW...

any suggestions for installing cable housing stop. Know of any cable stop adapters, etc that you can mount to the (?bottom) of the Bottom Bracket?

appreciate all the help
Don

Still haven't started putting it together yet, but the FD hanger I bought appears to have a cable stop built-in so there should not be a need for me to rig a cable stop under the bottom bracket. However, on closer inspection, it doesn't seem to be cleanly in line with the cable attachment on the 105 FD, so I may have to rig up something under the bottom bracket if the location on the hanger causes too much friction. Will just have to try and see.

Possibly Related Threads...