Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Good inexpensive pads

Related video tutorials:
AL_BUNDY Offline

Iowa City
Good inexpensive pads
I bought a new Raleigh comfort bike this past summer. I read in the reviews it come with Tektro brakes and that are notorious for chattering. I didn't have any problems other then occasionally a quack when wet. Well after the last trip to the bike shop trying to get those levers sorted out now the front brake squeals loud every time I use it.
So I'm thinking I will just replace the pads. I don't need anything Fancy, Just want to stop quietly. Any suggestions? I,m leaning toward just picking up a set of Bell pads from Walmart. Ive used them before with out complaints but if I get a better suggestion for a reasonable price set I will try.

I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
Sep 1, 2012 05:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
RE: Good inexpensive pads
Al, get a set of Kool Stop Salmon pads - you will not regret it.

Your symptoms sound more like the pads are not toed in a bit. The pads on the Tektro brakes I have are really good, as are the OEM Avid. The OEM Origin 8 are not so good. The Bell brand ones were so-so at best, and the hardware was not as easy to use.

Nigel
Sep 1, 2012 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AL_BUNDY Offline

Iowa City
I thought about that. Will look tomorrow when I install my new levers. One of the brake arms is a little sticky so I will be looking into that also; I also thought maybe something got spilled on them.

I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
Sep 1, 2012 07:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Sorry to "brake" in lol. Are Kool Stop salmon pads still a good pad? Also is Shimano's pads a pretty good brand or just paying for the name?

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Oct 11, 2012 08:23 PM
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
Shimano ????

get a set of Kool Stop Salmon pads - you will not regret it.

Nigel
Oct 11, 2012 08:53 PM
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

Cheap option - clean your rims with rubbing alcohol and sand the surface of the brake pads with some fine sandpaper.

Next check to see if your pads are toed in a little, that cures most squealing.

If you're going to buy new pads, spend a few bucks and get good ones. They will make a difference and brakes aren't really a place to scrimp.
Oct 12, 2012 09:41 AM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Thank you for good advice guys. I do have a really good question though. Now per say if I did sand my brake pads would the particles of sand embed themselves into the rubber and possibly scratch up and wear down the wall of the rim faster?

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Oct 12, 2012 02:41 PM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
I would say no chance on that Bill, the idea behind it is to freshen up the surface a bit. If you still have a shadow of a doubt, use a closed coat type disk or paper, or even a fine metal file

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Oct 12, 2012 03:21 PM
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

(Oct 12, 2012 02:41 PM)Bill Wrote:  would the particles of sand embed themselves into the rubber

No. I've never seen this happen and I've sanded lots of pads. It will just take the hard glazed surface off the pad and get down to fresh rubber. Usually improves brakes and can help remove squeaks. Note that the glaze can come back pretty quick though, especially if your rims are dirty.
Oct 12, 2012 03:24 PM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Thanks guys !! Smile. That's cool to know as some people like myself wandered if there was a way to get a little more mileage out of those still full pads! Would 1000 grit be a good sand paper?

Oct 12, 2012 07:29 PM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
what ever you have in the drawer Bill, 1000 to fine for my taste. I prefer more like 80 grit to 200 as the finest. I lay the paper on a flat surface then take the pad and move it back and forth a few times, it does not take much and good to go.

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Oct 12, 2012 08:37 PM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
(Oct 12, 2012 08:37 PM)painkiller Wrote:  what ever you have in the drawer Bill, 1000 to fine for my taste. I prefer more like 80 grit to 200 as the finest. I lay the paper on a flat surface then take the pad and move it back and forth a few times, it does not take much and good to go.

Well I'll be! I thought the higher number was the finer grit?

Oct 12, 2012 08:50 PM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
the higher the number the finer the grit is correct Bill. I meant 200 grit is about as fine as I would use and prefer 80 grit or 100 grit. but the sidewalk would do in a pinch Smile

Oct 12, 2012 10:08 PM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
(Oct 12, 2012 10:08 PM)painkiller Wrote:  the higher the number the finer the grit is correct Bill. I meant 200 grit is about as fine as I would use and prefer 80 grit or 100 grit. but the sidewalk would do in a pinch Smile

Ohhh ok that makes sense, lol. I heard of people using a razor blade (which I don't agree with, to shave off the hardened part. To me I don't have that type of patience to try and get the surface in even cuts. If it works for them then I guess I am happy for em.
Again I thank you all for this tip.

Oct 13, 2012 06:34 AM
RobAR Offline
Veteran Member

Mountain Home, AR
Bill, Bill, Bill. What are we gonna do with you, you nut? Wink
If you want to make your pads nice and shiney... by all means use 1000 grit and wet sand them - followed by a few strokes with a Hard Arkansas whet stone and then strop them on a leather strap like an old-timey barber!
When you hear tell of people using a blade to refresh pads, it's that they are removing the 'lip' that forms on a pad that has been adjusted wrong and part of it misses the rims braking surface by diving under it.

AL_, did you get the squeal sorted out?

Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Oct 13, 2012 05:25 PM
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
10" power mitre saw with a 200 tooth plywood blade cuts pads well too Smile make sure not cut your fingers or anything else, and make sure that you don't launch any projectiles at high velocity Smile

Personally, I just get new pads.

Nigel
Oct 13, 2012 06:07 PM
RobAR Offline
Veteran Member

Mountain Home, AR
I do think that I do detect sarcasm in Nigels reply. Smile What would happen if we gave him a match and an oily rag??

Oct 13, 2012 06:44 PM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Smart@$$3$ lmao that is very funny!!!!!!

Oct 13, 2012 07:54 PM
RobAR Offline
Veteran Member

Mountain Home, AR
(Oct 13, 2012 07:54 PM)Bill Wrote:  Smart@$$3$ lmao that is very funny!!!!!!
Here is an oily rag, Bill.

Oct 14, 2012 06:29 AM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Nah I'll just immerse them into a bucket of high octane gas use that oily rag and match and cook them at 250 degree + for about as long as the fuel lasts burning then take my propane torch to see if I can custom fit the metal lmao!!!

Oct 14, 2012 11:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Brake pads rubbing Blackwell1988 5 2,949 Feb 20, 2014 06:08 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Adjusting brakes and pads PBells 2 1,550 Sep 13, 2013 04:58 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Voodoo Masara Brake Pads shoey2602 3 2,045 Oct 22, 2012 01:42 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Pads are not parrallel to rim Genshu 10 3,211 Oct 11, 2012 11:16 PM
Last Post: Genshu
  Disk brake pads chris_the_outlaw3.3 3 3,493 Jun 16, 2012 07:02 PM
Last Post: chris_the_outlaw3.3
  V-Brake Pads - A question Portellini 10 8,068 Apr 11, 2011 01:46 PM
Last Post: Portellini
  Glazed pads/rotors bike_commuter 4 8,811 Mar 3, 2011 11:53 AM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Brake pads for FSA Gossamer calipers tauro 1 4,971 Sep 24, 2010 05:39 AM
Last Post: Bill
  New brake pads -v type kadie71 4 4,449 Jul 18, 2010 12:24 PM
Last Post: kadie71
  Can you recommend good road-style brake pads? Guest 13 11,245 Apr 11, 2010 08:24 AM
Last Post: Joe_W