Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

General Questions Thread...
Hi,

I'm new to this but I want to dive in head-first.

I've searched these forums but not found answers adequate enough for my level of curiosity. Please humor me!

My first project is a Giant Sedona LX I've had for a few years that I want to clean, tune-up, and sell for some extra cash.

I'm wondering, first of all, how I can get the cassette nice and shiny. I know it's not particularly necessary for it to be like-new to function, but I think it's a nice selling point.

I've tried soaking it in Simple Green, but I haven't had much luck. I don't know what tools are safe to use, though.

Secondly, what's the best way to do a complete cleaning of the derailleurs, brakes, shifters, etc, inside and out? I'm thinking of taking them off the bike as I'd like to be extremely thorough; this way I get a feel for bike components inside and out and I learn as much as possible. Which parts can I soak in a de-greaser, and which should I just use detergent on? I'm in this for the long haul, I really want to become proficient!

I have more questions but I'll wait as these are the most pressing and give me enough work to do to begin with.

Thanks!
it would be nice if you could post some pics of what you have. Parts washers work good for the chain, frt/rear derailleurs, crank, rear cassette,
Shifters unless malfunctioning just need cleaned on the outside and not recommended to soak in any kind of cleaner. for these just knock off any dirt and use a tooth brush and rags soaked with WD- 40 and wooden tooth picks for the tight areas, then wipe off the Wd-40 and you are good.
For the frame again I start with Wd-40 and wipe and scrub off all grime/crud. Followed by a quik wipe down with any mild cleaner to take off the WD-40. Followed by Turtlewax Polishing compound to polish to perfection
Use a hot Hairdryer/heat gun to remove any stickers you no longer want and wd-40 will remove any leftover sticky
Turtlewax polishing compound will also spruce up any alloy parts you want to make shine better
Make sure wheels are true, if they freespin for more than 15 seconds and axles are tight, leave them alone
New brake pads are a nice touch. especially if they are older than 10 years.
if your grips are good and you want to remove and reuse them. slide your brake levers and shifters out of the way and take a plastic spoon/knife handle, slide and push under the grip as far as you can, then squirt some mild household cleaner under the grip and work the spoon in and twist and pull the grip right off, followed by a rinse with water and dry.
Most of the used bicycles I sell will have New tubes/tires, cables/housing, brake pads, grips
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Specifically, if it is actually a cassette and not a freewheel; remove the cassette and run it through the dishwasher.

If it is a freewheel - DON'T.
Nigel
http://i.imgur.com/rxTOJos.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XxDysZW.jpg

These two are what I want to work on next.

I've removed the chain with a chain tool and cleaned it; the rear cassette has been given a similar treatment.

I've been very careful with everything else. I'm going to go over the brake rotors with rubbing alcohol. How do I clean the spline and grooves in the bottom bracket without removing it? I don't think it needs to be greased or maintenanced.

As you can see the sprockets and pivots are heavily caked with dirt and grease. I'd like to get this bike as presentable as possible for sale... I'm going to tighten up the cables and clean the outside parts of the cables and housing, but I don't think I need to take it apart as you've said.

I'll use the rest of your advice for the other bulk of the bike.

Thanks guys.
(12-02-2013, 08:12 PM)Feels Wrote:  How do I clean the spline and grooves in the bottom bracket without removing it?

Q-tips. Make sure that you do not get any solvent or water into the bottom bracket, the bearings have rubber shields, but anything sprayed right at them will go through the shields.

Regarding the pictures: the back of the RD is corroded (rust), not just dirt.
Nigel
Ok, thanks. I've disassembled the RD and am in the process of cleaning/buffing it now. Do I need to take apart the entire structure? Right now I've just removed the two sprockets and the plate that goes on the back of the two sprockets. There's a lot of gunk in the spring, etc...
looking at the pics I would say replace the cables at least, pull the the cranks off, if the the chain rings can come off take them apart, scrub with rags and tooth brush and wd-40. spray wd on the tooth brush and scrub your BB grooves, then tooth brush behind terry cloth
to finish and soak off wd.
wash and de-grime frame and polish with the Turtlewax Polishing Compound. do not use "Rubbing compound"
If the cables are frayed and not shiny and the the littlest nooks and cranny's are not clean and shiny, save your energy. It will still look like it needs something and not exactly "detailed" properly. Especially if once you do all the cleaning you go out and ride it.
take the derailleur cage apart and scrub it with the polishing compound, scrub the pulley's with WD, clean off the WD and lube before re-assembly
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(11-30-2013, 09:20 PM)Feels Wrote:  My first project is a Giant Sedona LX I've had for a few years that I want to clean, tune-up, and sell for some extra cash.
A tooth brush works wonders. A little soap mix may be needed for BB splines.
On unpainted areas, like the cassette & front chain rings, I use a rag (or a scotchbrite dish spnge) wet with brake cleaner, from Walmart in an aerosol can $3.50ish. AVOID CONTACT WITH PAINT!!!
You said you cleaned the brake rotors? Sedona with disc brakes?
Have you figured out a price goal? Perhaps your area is different, but a Sedona, around here, in like new condition is usually listed on CL for under $250. If it looks used & slightly worn it's closer to $150.
There is a gorgeous 2012 Trek Navigator, 24 speed, similar to your bike, with a Topeak Explorer rack & MTX trunk bag ($95) locally for $350. In fact I just noticed he lowered it to $300. Seat is new. It's been listed for 2 months!
Good luck, if you lived close I'd come check it out.

Possibly Related Threads...