Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

ROSS fixie
Thanks BicycleTutor for all the help !!
Lovin' this "Fixie" stuff !!
Painted the lug lines and added some "Poor Man" aerobars.
This is my first Ross... they really are some nice riding frames/bikes compared to my Trek's. If anyone has some Ross' laying around they want to get rid of, give me a PM... wife wants a step through "Fixie" !!
Very Nice! Clean!
Built up my first single, not fixie, this summer. Fun fun. Wheels? Tires? Peddles?
That bike deserves some cool a$$ bars....
Thanks RiceBurner !!...
Saving up for some bars and maybe another stem... not sure what kind of bars I want... what would you recommend ??
Let's see some pics of your bike ??
IDK, bars are a personal preference/rider position thing. I cut stock track/drop bars into bull horns, which I like, but they are too narrow. So probably buy some wider ones.
Mustache and trekking(butterfly bend)bars are appealing also, to me. Niagra Cycles is mostly where I shop, all kinda bars, cheap.
I'll get a pic. loaded. Nothing special. First build, free bike from a back yard/fence row find. Kinda a "not worth stealing" look. Schwinn? maybe. 1979. Been spray painted blue, lol. I just left it. One peice crank, really ruff wheels. Looking for a better candidate, that or upgrade crank, bearings and wheels of this one.
(01-02-2014, 12:47 AM)RiceBurner Wrote:  Schwinn? maybe. 1979. Been spray painted blue, lol. I just left it. One peice crank, really ruff wheels. Looking for a better candidate, that or upgrade crank, bearings and wheels of this one.
The old frame probably has really relaxed geometry for a comfy ride, but by the time you put money into it you may be better off starting with a slightly better (= to your taste) bike from Craigs List.
(01-02-2014, 12:47 AM)RiceBurner Wrote:  IDK, bars are a personal preference/rider position thing. I cut stock track/drop bars into bull horns, which I like, but they are too narrow. So probably buy some wider ones.
Mustache and trekking(butterfly bend)bars are appealing also, to me. Niagra Cycles is mostly where I shop, all kinda bars, cheap.
I'll get a pic. loaded. Nothing special. First build, free bike from a back yard/fence row find. Kinda a "not worth stealing" look. Schwinn? maybe. 1979. Been spray painted blue, lol. I just left it. One peice crank, really ruff wheels. Looking for a better candidate, that or upgrade crank, bearings and wheels of this one.

I'll take a look at these bars... Thanks !!
Just thought I would show an updated pic of my Ross bicycle(fixie) with the "Bling-Bling" wheels on. Had an extra set of wheels and figured I would do something to "Flash" my ride up. Some gold and silver duck tape and a week of evenings in front of the TV... Wah-Lah !!!
I think Mr. Ross would like it... from what I have read about him, he was a "Flashy" Man. Wish I could have met him.
The bike always seems to put a big smile on everyones face when I ride by or it's parked in front of a store.
Anyways, have put over 1400 miles on it, since I finished it, and a couple metric century rides. Looking foward to the 100 mile centurys and many more trips around town !!!!!!
(11-05-2014, 08:07 PM)!TREK4ME! Wrote:  Just thought I would show an updated pic of my Ross bicycle(fixie) with the "Bling-Bling" wheels on. Had an extra set of wheels and figured I would do something to "Flash" my ride up. Some gold and silver duck tape and a week of evenings in front of the TV... Wah-Lah !!!
I think Mr. Ross would like it... from what I have read about him, he was a "Flashy" Man. Wish I could have met him.
The bike always seems to put a big smile on everyones face when I ride by or it's parked in front of a store.
Anyways, have put over 1400 miles on it, since I finished it, and a couple metric century rides. Looking foward to the 100 mile centurys and many more trips around town !!!!!!

Very very nice. I'm just digging your project mate. 2 questions - how tall are you as the frame looks very tall and h ave you noticed whether the tape in the spokes help or hinder the performance?
Thanks !!!....
I'm just a couple hairs short of 6'-4"(193cm)... it's a 25" frame(63.5cm).
The tape in a crosswind can be quite scary and dangerous, especially for the front wheel in moderate to high winds(I only ride in light winds with the taped wheels on). As far as helping performance, I doubt it does. I mainly did the tape job for just a different look.
Put the wheels I had on in the first pics, back on today... guess I'm not feeling as "Flashy" this week, plus it's been getting windy here, lately.
Thanks again !!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: wwwalterrr

06-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Papa Dom

06-10-2014, 02:13 AM