Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need help with crank replacement
I have a Fuji 1.7c roadbike with the threads stripped out of the right crank arm. Cranks are Fuji branded square taper 172.5mm length and 50/34t chainrings. I found on Ebay FSA VERO ROAD CRANKS CRANKSET 172.5MM 50-34 COMPACT crank arms for around $60.

All of the numbers I can see match up.. Is it safe to say they will bolt up to my bb and line up with my derailleur or is there anything else I need to consider?

I've also found a Nashbar isis CR2 compact crank set for $50 and a isis bb by Nashbar for $20. Would that be a better option for around the same money? Or does anyone have any other ideas? I've worked on BMX bikes years ago but feel lost with everything out there today. Thanks for your time.
Can't tell if it will have proper chainline (line up centered to rear cogs). Different crank models can take different length BB spindles. If it's a sealed unit one can pull the arms and measure total spindle length to determine compatibility, but you need to find out what length spindle is required for the FSA arms.
(12-23-2013, 04:51 PM)cny-man Wrote:  Can't tell if it will have proper chainline (line up centered to rear cogs) without measurement. Different crank models can take different length BB spindles. If it's a sealed unit one can pull the arms and measure total spindle length to determine compatibility, but you need to find out what length spindle is required for the FSA arms.
FSA's website lists a Q factor legnth of 145mm, Is that the spindle legnth i need? And also it is a sealed FSA BB. I have to get a crank arm puller before i can measure the spindle anyway.
No, Q factor is how far the crank arms are from each other - total of the distance of each crank arm face (where the pedal is mounted to the centerline of the bike. You should be able to find out th spindle length of the FSA BB online, or just ask the seller.

Incidentally I should have mentioned that the pedal threads can generally be fixed as good as new by a shop, using a Helicoil repair kit.
The main reason I would never use a heli-coil fix is for mere fact that it is not a fix that I would depend on. It is a one time deal, fine for you but if I purchased a used bicycle like that and it was not disclosed. I would be pretty pissed off and certainly ripped off. To detect that would be next to impossible on a test ride and honestly just not a good habit to start when working on bicycles. Yet alone I know of no reputable shops that would even consider that as an option.The unpredictable liability alone would be enough reason never to do that, for myself yet alone a customer. Price of a crankset vs. emergency room, MMmm. It's a no brainer
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post