Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

A ping in the front wheel

Related video tutorials:
FredS Offline

Pike co., Mo.
A ping in the front wheel
Ok, I know that I few of the spokes in my wheels feel a little loser the others. Now with that front wheel on my MTB was been making a pinging noise, it usually stops after about a half mile of riding, but some day is off and on for the 4 mile ride to work. Is this something to worry about or do I need to have the wheels looked at and retuned.

Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Sep 22, 2012 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
RE: A ping in the front wheel
(Sep 22, 2012 07:28 PM)FredS Wrote:  Ok, I know that I few of the spokes in my wheels feel a little loser the others. Now with that front wheel on my MTB was been making a pinging noise, it usually stops after about a half mile of riding, but some day is off and on for the 4 mile ride to work. Is this something to worry about or do I need to have the wheels looked at and retuned.

Yes definitely get the wheels (spokes) re-tensioned and looked at. If you are certain the "pinging" noise is coming from the wheel I would highly recommend you stop riding it. If that wheel collapses (and it will eventually fail) when you are riding you or someone else could get hurt.
If you are interested in correcting the problem yourself then it is a simple process. That I will leave for you to answer.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Sep 22, 2012 07:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
(Sep 22, 2012 07:28 PM)FredS Wrote:  .....Is this something to worry about ?.....

YES.

All the spokes in a front wheel should be about the same tension - make approximately the same sound (note) when they are plucked like a guitar. If they are not, that indicates unequal load distribution, and a likely hood of failure sooner instead of never.

Typically spokes will make some pinging noises during the first 100 meters (yards) after a wheel build or re-tension. At the first 160km (100 miles); the wheel should be re-tensioned, re-trued and stress relieved; and then never need any servicing until the brake pads have worn through the rim.

The symptoms you describe could be:
  • A poorly built wheel.
  • cracked nipple(s)
  • cracked rim
  • wheel bearings needing rebuild
  • cracked hub
  • and probably some other things that I can't think of right now

Yes, these need to be diagnosed and taken care of sooner, rather than later.

Bill descirbed the consequences quite well - though less dramatically than I would Smile You do not want to end up in emergency surgery with the doctor trying to figure out how to remove bicycle parts from your body.

Nigel
Sep 22, 2012 08:00 PM
FredS Offline

Pike co., Mo.
I have already parked the bike, as I did not like the thought of going over the handlebars and any speed. As for the bearings, I took the hub apart and cleaned and re-lubed the hubs and it still made the pinging noise. Will try plucking the spokes but I will probably just take them to a shop and get them done right. Thanks for the reply

Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Sep 23, 2012 06:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can i fit a QR wheel on a front fork with 20mm through axle? ibie1983 2 265 Dec 1, 2014 02:08 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  Fitting 11-28 to fixie wheel? mikesw15 5 344 Nov 28, 2014 10:32 AM
Last Post: mikesw15
  Sturmey Archer X-FD front wheel removal finleymars 7 923 Nov 12, 2014 03:32 AM
Last Post: Paul G.
  Creaking Real Wheel On Cruiser :( straightbangin 24 887 Nov 6, 2014 09:36 AM
Last Post: straightbangin
  Fuji Sport 12 bent wheel metropical 20 1,986 Sep 24, 2014 10:25 AM
  Front Hub eating bearings PlumForgot 13 1,429 Sep 16, 2014 10:39 AM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  True wheel barney 1 748 Sep 13, 2014 07:54 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Need GMC Denali Front Rim Replaced nosboost300 5 952 Aug 18, 2014 04:39 PM
  Rear Wheel Nuts won't screw in Pugceratops 3 1,108 Aug 11, 2014 08:35 AM