Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Is this a good Bike for Big Built? Or can any suggestions Please...
Hello Folks, I am trying to get this bike for the coming Summer. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1124670_-1_400604__400604 .

Its a 2013 Schwinn Voyageur 2 Comfort Bike. I am 6'3" and 260 P. I used to have mountain bike-- Schwinn Rivel 29". But it gave me a bad tail bone and wrist pain(Used the tail less seat from Schwinn and the Cloud9 Seat). The Handle bar was not adjustable and i had to strech etc. Just trying to see if any one recommends buying the Schwinn Voyageur or any good suggestions(cost 300 - 500 is fine). Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance...
I vary from 260 to 295. Here's my opinion. THIS APPLIES TO SORE BOUGHT BIKES WITH NO CUSTOM WHEELS OR SELF BUILT WHEELS.
1) I'm 90% sure I could get you comfortable on your existing bike with a seat change & handlebar change. The positioning of the seat is critical if you have that tailbone pain as I did.
2) Buy a cruiser with 26" tires, and not a walmart bike.
3) I respectfully disagree with what others will say, but here it goes- don't get a bike with 700c wheels or 32 spokes. I have ruined custom made wheels (always the rear) of some of the finest quality, that cost more than a walmart bike, so I know what I'm talking about.
4) Or get a bike from craigslist & have at least a custom rear wheel made for it & you'll be in your price range.
5) The frame style of the bike you chose is good for you, just get a model with 26" tires.
Like this. Shift 1 model or better. Get the right size! You need a 21" or better, I bet. Tilt the back of the seat UP, nose down slightly so you ride on your "sitbones". Raise the bars all the way up & as far back as they will go. You should have an upright position with an EASY reach to the grips. Move the seat forward a bit too if you have to, just try to have almost full leg extension.
I am a huge, unathletic person that has had tailbone problems when riding. if others give you advice that contradicts mine, ask them if they are a huge, unathletic person that has had tailbone problems when riding, lol!
Almost every bike shop employee that swears they have experience with heavy people has given me bad advice.
I usually ride more but last year I did 3200 miles.
6) Unless you are making short 1 & 2 mile round trips, stay away from wide body seats like the Cloud 9.
I am a bit heavier than Jeff, and just under 6' tall. Everyone is different. For my wide "comfort" saddles hurt like hell. Check out the pictures of our tandem about ½ way down: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-2920-page-2.html
that is the most comfortable for me.

This is the saddle that I have settled on for new builds:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1C88ZY/
because I can't find ones like I installed on the T50.

My typical rides are 8 to 10 miles. I tend to lean forward more than many people, and have good leg extension. My trouser inseam is 32"; road frame that suits me is 58cm from crank center line to top of the seat tube, where the seat post enters. The T50 is 58cm in the captain's (front) position.

Personally; I would strongly recommend AGAINST purchasing another bike; spend some time and money on the one you have so that you can figure out what geometry and saddle works for you. Then you will have much more knowledge when you pull the trigger on a new bike.
Nigel
(01-15-2014, 12:47 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Personally; I would strongly recommend AGAINST purchasing another bike; spend some time and money on the one you have so that you can figure out what geometry and saddle works for you.
Agreed, but I just noticed he said he got rid of it- "I used to have"-.
Thanks Much Folks. Thanks for the Advice.

Thank you,
Greens...

Possibly Related Threads...