Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Chain/Sprocket problems

Related video tutorials:
The_Istrian Offline

SE Louisiana
Chain/Sprocket problems
Hi, folks, I'm new here, so maybe my question has been answered before. If so, please direct me to the answer. My question: I have Bianchi Touring bike that I bought a month ago. After riding almost 400 miles, I noticed some disturbing signs regarding the chain and rear sprocket. My bike is a 24 speed, and I usually ride it in 23rd gear. When I'm up to about 14 mph, I'll stop pedaling and the chain will snap forward. It seems that the front sprocket stops spinning when I stop pedaling; however, the back sprocket still has enough spin in it to "throw" the chain forward. It sounds loud, too. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated.[/size][/font]
Oct 5, 2012 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
RE: Chain/Sprocket problems
(Oct 5, 2012 04:57 PM)The_Istrian Wrote:  Hi, folks, I'm new here, so maybe my question has been answered before. If so, please direct me to the answer. My question: I have Bianchi Touring bike that I bought a month ago. After riding almost 400 miles, I noticed some disturbing signs regarding the chain and rear sprocket. My bike is a 24 speed, and I usually ride it in 23rd gear. When I'm up to about 14 mph, I'll stop pedaling and the chain will snap forward. It seems that the front sprocket stops spinning when I stop pedaling; however, the back sprocket still has enough spin in it to "throw" the chain forward. It sounds loud, too. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated.[/size][/font]

Sounds like your freehub or freewheel (not sure of what you have) is sticking internally. Picture of it would help determine which one you have. Can say that if it is a freehub then the only way to fix it is by soaking it with some penetrating oil and working out the gunk. If it is a freewheel get a new one.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Oct 5, 2012 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The_Istrian Offline

SE Louisiana
(Oct 5, 2012 07:40 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(Oct 5, 2012 04:57 PM)The_Istrian Wrote:  Hi, folks, I'm new here, so maybe my question has been answered before. If so, please direct me to the answer. My question: I have Bianchi Touring bike that I bought a month ago. After riding almost 400 miles, I noticed some disturbing signs regarding the chain and rear sprocket. My bike is a 24 speed, and I usually ride it in 23rd gear. When I'm up to about 14 mph, I'll stop pedaling and the chain will snap forward. It seems that the front sprocket stops spinning when I stop pedaling; however, the back sprocket still has enough spin in it to "throw" the chain forward. It sounds loud, too. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated.[/size][/font]

Sounds like your freehub or freewheel (not sure of what you have) is sticking internally. Picture of it would help determine which one you have. Can say that if it is a freehub then the only way to fix it is by soaking it with some penetrating oil and working out the gunk. If it is a freewheel get a new one.

Thanks, Bill. I was thinking along the same lines (although I'm not a bike mechanic). The bike is still under warranty, so it will be taken to the shop tomorrow, pronto. Thanks again.
Oct 5, 2012 08:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Your welcome Smile

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Oct 5, 2012 09:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question about chain length Jerry845 1 194 Oct 21, 2014 05:10 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Loose chain on high gears IamTT 1 1,040 Oct 1, 2014 04:43 PM
  Bike chain Mbuntin 2 837 Sep 30, 2014 05:51 AM
  Chain slipping on a self-repaired bike toor 4 969 Sep 17, 2014 04:00 AM
  Mongoose XR 75 Chain Replacement bbeck2223 3 580 Sep 10, 2014 01:43 AM
Last Post: bbeck2223
  Chain slipping when shifting nishikibike 4 708 Sep 6, 2014 04:35 AM
  New chain AND cassette, now skipping (a lot) ni4na.347 11 14,427 Sep 2, 2014 01:41 PM
Last Post: ppp333
  Cleaning up an old chain AlienCollective 9 6,796 Aug 30, 2014 01:52 PM
Last Post: Chambeux
  When to lube new chain? barney 4 856 Aug 10, 2014 07:26 PM
Last Post: barney
  My new chain guard nfmisso 18 8,125 Aug 5, 2014 06:24 AM
Last Post: nfmisso