Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New
Hi, I just registered. I thought I would 'share' a little, because I saw another person do it. I am so new, I have no idea if this is appropriate or egotistical.
I recently had my Trek 3700D stolen. Ouch!! What a nice bike it was. Only a couple of years old. Hardly had it broken it!
I live in China but I am an American. I do a little tutoring of English and endure the winters. They start in Oct./Novhere and last until April. Not very good for 'riding' outside. I use a trainer indoors in the winter.
I am working on an old bike I got because the new ones attract that 'other' element who won't (or can't) get a better bike without stealing it. Bikes are common here and the economy is poor and so are many of the people.
I have decided to use the Chinese theory that noone will steal an older bike, but I am spoiled and can not resist painting, repairing and 'freshening' the clunker because I want my riding experience to be pleasurable.
I found this site while cruising the web for repair articles because i have never had to do some of the things I am having to do to this bike. The replacement parts are medium quality and it is difficult to expect better. You all know that China is the beast place to get a 'copy' of something. They can copy anything, and do. And in an inexpensive way. Even items with name brands are usually copies! They don't have copyright protection. It peobably wouldn't matter, there are no enforcement avenues for such laws if they even existed. It would get in the way of the way they do business.
Anyway, my cheapie is some sort of Chinese copy of a swing arm frame with front suspension and 21 speeds. I am replacing the bearings in the bottom bracket and forks. New cables and controls, seat, hand grips, brake pads and pedals. And I bought a better chain/lock combo. (probably a copy!)
I have cleaned all the decals and advertisements off of it and have repainted the forks and have the frame primred. Trying to figure out how to get the chain off the swing arm. Then I will clean, sand and primer it.
That's all for now, anyone who sees this and wants to reply, comment or assist. Great
Peace, love and light,
phyrwrks
I couldn't resist becoming a member.
To answer your question - you need a chain tool: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/parts/products/images/2000/95031_100pc_72dpiWIDE.jpg

It is a good time to replace the freewheel or cassette (depending on which the bike has, freewheel being more likely) and chain.

Where in China are you located? China is a country with roughly the same land area as the USA. The southern parts of China like Guangzhou have a climate similar to Houston TX; Beijing is closer to NYC climate wise. Further north gets MUCH colder.

I used to irregularly travel to Dongguan, via Guangzhou or Hong Kong.
Nigel
Hi and welcome! Now you also need to post before / after pics of your ride!
(02-18-2014, 10:54 PM)phyrwrks Wrote:  ..... I will see about a new chain and a freewheel. That is the small spinning gear in the derailleur, right? Too bad I am not in the U.S. I think I have a chain tool in my toolbox. I never used it, but I am pretty sure that is what is it for. To push out the pins in a s
chain link. And maybe, for the installation of a new/replacement link. I guess they don't use a master link, like a motorcycle chain?

The freewheel is the cogset attached to the rear wheel. You need a tool and a bench vice or BIG wrench to get it off.

KMC and SRAM chains use master links; Shimano does not. I prefer KMC, and SRAM 2nd.

You still need the chain tool to shorten the chain.
Nigel
(02-19-2014, 04:10 AM)phyrwrks Wrote:  ..... I found a picture of a derailleur on the Internet. You are saying I should replace this entire unit? ......
NO!! find an image on 'net of a freewheel. The freewheel is attached to the rear wheel, it is not part of the derailleur.
Nigel
(02-19-2014, 12:24 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(02-19-2014, 04:10 AM)phyrwrks Wrote:  ..... I found a picture of a derailleur on the Internet. You are saying I should replace this entire unit? ......
NO!! find an image on 'net of a freewheel. The freewheel is attached to the rear wheel, it is not part of the derailleur.

Thank you. I have a better idea and a picture now. I will see what is available here. Not the easiest thing in the world to do! Very, very few people speak English here and most don't care about learning. Most of the people here will never need it.
Thanks again, I am learning as I go. Hands on.
p