Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Fox FLOAT R rear shock -- leak
When I (shockingly inexperienced) tried to air up my rear shock, I learned there's oil in there, cause it spewed out on my hand. So now, I need to get the oil back in there.
From what i gather from specs sheets, it's supposed to have 5mL of fluid in the air chamber. How does one refill and pressurize it?
Is a shock pump essential or can I use a floor pump w/ screw-on head?
Should I be concerned about seals and other parts? This is the first time this shock has been messed with other than rebound dial adjustment and wiping down.
Is it time to overhaul the shock? How much cheese would I spend on that job?
Any knowledge and pointers welcome.
"Be the change..."
your best bet is to to ship it to these guys @ Push Industries
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks painkiller. That 130-200 bucks will be hard to convince my bride about, but I agree that it is probably best.
Anything I can try in the meantime, to test out, see if it works? Or is that just asking for more trouble?
"Be the change..."
Fox Manual
Phone # 800-369-7469 for service. Maybe they can tell you where to download info.
Thank you also, 1F, I'll work on that.

All in all, looks like I'm going to sell this bike, whether I send the FLOAT off for rebuild or not. Sad
Specialized Epic FSR with a bunch of upgrades. Had it and loved it since 2006.

I'll keep y'all posted on the shock.
Thanks for your input!
"Be the change..."
May not need service. You may have goofed & they may have a simple fix to at least make it sell-able. A new shock on Ebay or Amazon isn't much more than the repair.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MTB rear shock GoldenBoy 10 6,011 12-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Last Post: xerxes
  5 1/2 rear shock replacement Kikakeith 3 6,019 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Last Post: armonline
  Gila RST shock repair shorty rock 3 9,056 07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Last Post: jimmy41101
  Huffy aluminum shock trail-rider 7 6,000 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Alex Ramon
  Cane Creek AD-10 rear shock service/repair - rebound knob broken neex 1 7,118 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Last Post: neex