Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help with wobbely cranks and chainrings
Hey,

First of all thank you for your advice in advance and I wasnt sure where the thread should go since it's neither cranks nor chainring. So I have been having a problem with my bic and I am determined to fix it myself. I have been riding the bic for a long time, so it's old. Sometimes when I put pressure on the pedals by standing up i hear a creaking sound, although it doesn't come from the gears or the chain ring. This morning I heard the creak again, and after ward the whole chainring and the two pedals started to move left and right horizontally, kind of sliding through the main body frame to left and right as if they have suddenly broken free of whatever that was keeping them (which is probably so as well). I had a look at the general structure of what makes the area of the cranks and chainrings, but I still have no idea what holds the system tight, and I tried to take the chain ring or even the cranks out to see but the screws are so old that they won't budge and I don't have a puller.

Any advice and opinions on what is wrong and how I could fix it is very much appreciated. I have all tools that a normal tool box has, although nothing specific to bics and it is the first time I am repearing a serious issue with my bic so my knowledge doesnt go far.

Many thanks.
(06-12-2014, 10:27 AM)IRCSS Wrote:  Hey,

First of all thank you for your advice in advance and I wasnt sure where the thread should go since it's neither cranks nor chainring. So I have been having a problem with my bic and I am determined to fix it myself. I have been riding the bic for a long time, so it's old. Sometimes when I put pressure on the pedals by standing up i hear a creaking sound, although it doesn't come from the gears or the chain ring. This morning I heard the creak again, and after ward the whole chainring and the two pedals started to move left and right horizontally, kind of sliding through the main body frame to left and right as if they have suddenly broken free of whatever that was keeping them (which is probably so as well). I had a look at the general structure of what makes the area of the cranks and chainrings, but I still have no idea what holds the system tight, and I tried to take the chain ring or even the cranks out to see but the screws are so old that they won't budge and I don't have a puller.

Any advice and opinions on what is wrong and how I could fix it is very much appreciated. I have all tools that a normal tool box has, although nothing specific to bics and it is the first time I am repearing a serious issue with my bic so my knowledge doesnt go far.

Many thanks.
need some clear pics of what you have, try to get a shot of the bottom bracket part behind the chain wheel from both sides. It sounds like you need Bottom bracket service. and may require a couple special tools also. pics first
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yes, we need pics or info as to what equipment is installed on the bike (as well as bike make/model, year if possible), though it sounds like at a minimum you need BB bearing adjustment, quite possibly an overhaul.

p.s. If you look at the links to videos at the top of the page you will see "bike" mentioned several times. Where did you come up with "bic"??
unless we don't see it, it will be hard to determine what is your exact problem.
Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

Possibly Related Threads...