Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Rear derailleur problem, chain rubbing the lower pulley cage
Hi. I had an accident where my bike fell off to the ground. After that, the chain is rubbing the cage of the lower pulley in the rear derailleur. It's making metallic sound, as it rubs against the cage. Heare are some images for you to look. I appreciate you valueable response on how to fix this. I am using Shimano Sora. The images are taken while the bike has been mounted upside down.

[Image: 20140309_120415.jpg]

[Image: 20140309_120428.jpg]
(03-09-2014, 12:18 AM)grandmaster Wrote:  Hi. I had an accident where my bike fell off to the ground. After that, the chain is rubbing the cage of the lower pulley in the rear derailleur. It's making metallic sound, as it rubs against the cage. Heare are some images for you to look. I appreciate you valueable response on how to fix this. I am using Shimano Sora. The images are taken while the bike has been mounted upside down.

[Image: 20140309_120415.jpg]

[Image: 20140309_120428.jpg]
Grandmaster, it would appear that your derailleur hanger is out of alignment. I would like to see a pic with the bicycle upright with the chain on the middle gear front and rear, with the shot taken from the rear. this requires a Derailleur Alignment Gauge and resetting of the H/L limit screw, truing of the rear wheel before proceeding with the gauge. Some people will tell you that this tool is a waste of money and hardly used if ever and just take it to a shop. No true professional would say this tool is a waste of money, in fact this tool makes money. the only bicycle I would not use this tool on is one without a hanger at all. I once read advice stating, never assume the hanger is bent, thats a joke. Never assume it is straight ! always check it. Every bike, fresh from the box or used. a must have tool before setting up or building any bicycle. If you are planning on working on your own bike and maybe others, get this tool and use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UmUrUwUsWTQ
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi Painkiller,
Thanks for your reply. That was helpful. Please find some of the images taken from the rear with the gear in the middle for both the front and rear derailleur. Please suggest whether I need a Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge to fix this.

[Image: 20140309_153856.jpg]

[Image: 20140309_153912.jpg]

[Image: 20140309_154004.jpg]
[Image: 20140309_154004.jpg]

You can see where the idler wheel cage is bent at the top where it meets it's articulation point on the derailleur lower parallelogram pivot.
I'd start with a new derailleur, you need it anyway. I've seen discontinued long cage Sora rear derailleurs for a few bucks, $20ish. I just checked, Crosslakesales is out, so it's more like $30. Or get something else. Maybe "slum it" & go Sunrace.
It is out of whack for sure, Like Jef says, look the derailluer over good for damage and replace if it is. As far as buying the tool, they run about $60. call a couple shops and ask them how much to true the rear wheel, align the hanger, and set your gears. Like I said earlier, if you plan on working on your own and even other peoples bikes, get the tool. If the shop is half or more the price of the tool, i would get the tool and learn a new procedure. Even if you resold the tool when you were done you would be money and experience ahead. that tool would still bring $50 on ebay
(03-09-2014, 10:04 AM)painkiller Wrote:  It is out of whack for sure, Like Jef says, look the derailluer over good for damage and replace if it is. As far as buying the tool, they run about $60. call a couple shops and ask them how much to true the rear wheel, align the hanger, and set your gears. Like I said earlier, if you plan on working on your own and even other peoples bikes, get the tool. If the shop is half or more the price of the tool, i would get the tool and learn a new procedure. Even if you resold the tool when you were done you would be money and experience ahead. that tool would still bring $50 on ebay
here is going today on ebay used, just to show you they resell pretty good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-DAG-1-Rear-Derailleur-Alignment-Gauge-/151245701214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2336f2405e
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
hope this helps grandmaster
any questions feel free to PM me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0uqV0pRjlWk
I actually bought the tool some time ago and having used it twice I'm more than happy with the financial outlay. It opens a can of worms though, to use it properly you really should have at least one true rear wheel that will fit your frame and you should align the rear drop outs first, which needs another tool (yep, got one) that is closer to $100.
I would start with the RD and go from there. You know, Park tool says a 4mm run-out is OK with the RD tool, which is actually quite a bit of error.
Is that a long cage or a medium? Sora is road stuff, isn't it? Looks like he has an 8 speed, which for some reason I tend to associate with MTBs.
Thanks a lot guys, your replies was really helpful I think I should go for a full service of my bike as I need to fix a number of things including replacing front derailleur, straighten rear derailleur hanger, truing wheels and fix some noise that comes from the pedals.

I may take upto 150 dollar to do all these things for a second hand bike which costs me 300 dollar. So I am still thinking whether that would be worth of doing. And I am a novice when it comes to fixing gears and brakes, so I am afraid even if I have the tools, I may mess things up. Here in Perth, getting the tools is hard, and reselling them is even harder.
No special tools are required to swap the derailleur, it's a pain, but you can do it without even parting the chain. The front derailleur will need a chain tool though.
Get a cheaper rear derailleur. Is there a local bike co-op or local school with bike repair classes?
Hi Jef,

Thanks for your reply. As you suggested, I am willing to replace the rear derailleur myself. Can you please suggest some cheap derailleurs available on ebay?

I have found some on gumtree. Can you please suggest which one would be better?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baldivis/bicycles/rear-derailleur-/1040323675
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baldivis/bicycles/rear-derailleur-/1040322751
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/innaloo/bicycles/sora-rear-derailleur/1039484568

Any other links from ebay would be very helpful.
shimano rd-2300 is good for the money, whats is your rear cluster small and big tooth count?
I would stay away from the ones u linked to
Hi Painkiller,

Is this the one rd-2300? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baldivis/bicycles/rear-derailleur-/1040322751

Do you think it will fit into my socket at it attaching point is a bit different than mine. My one looks like this
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/road/sora/product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+RD+RD-3400-SS_600x450_v1_m56577569830637199_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif
this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-RD-2300-Rear-Derailluer-8-Speed-Silver-270-g-/301016277319?pt=US_Derailleurs_Rear&hash=item4615f7e147
Hi Painkiller,

Thanks a lot for your help. I have removed the derailleur hanger and used a hammer to make it straight. After that it is working just fine. I will probably buy a new hanger later which will cost 10 bucks, as it is much cheaper than the alignment tool. Thanks for you help and the video, that really helped me to get to the bottom of the problem.
you are welcome Grandmaster, glad you got the fix for now, However i must inform you that merely replacing the hanger, it to shall need the gauge check put to it. It is a vital step to optimize performance and to rule out hidden issues. Even new out of the box bicycles have mal-aligned hangers. Admittedly I am very nit picky about these things but for good reason, why build a bike and then discover this issue after I have already tightened bolts to my cables to loosen them again and crimp them in another spot so they look like crap. The one reason in my opinion a new bike fresh out of the box should never have cables run to it the first place, they think its a favor but to me no favor at all to the point of even ruining them and the finished look that I want to achieve. Now back to your hammer fix, Bad boy! I am glad you said what you did so I can scold you. Never ever do that again, a large cresent wrench used with finesse would have been better and still no substitute for proper tools and techniques especially when the bike is at home as compared to doing what one will have to do to a bike to get back home. the key is really quite simple if you follow certain steps in order of 1,2,3, vs 1,3,2, which will mean some kind of problem you will now have to back trac on to correct. I prefer to have my cables clamped once right the first time and bikes race ready the first time, It just makes it so much more easy this way.
Now you can help me as to where you are getting this $10 replacement hanger, most of the ones I ever get go from $15 to $25 , more than a cheap derailleur runs
Hi painkiller,

Thanks again for your valuable information. I do understand the need to straighten the hanger precisely using an alignment tool, but as I am not that picky, I can go on as long as it is working! Furthermore, this is a second hand bike, and I thought of not spending too much money into it. In future, if I get a expensive bike then I would get all the tools to alignment the hanger properly, but then again, I need a true wheel to get that right. And truing the wheel from shop can again be expensive.

Regarding the hanger, this is the one I was talking about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Road-Bike-Frame-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger-1pcs-/130823454684?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Parts&hash=item1e75af7fdc&_uhb=1

Not sure how long will this last as it is made in China!

Possibly Related Threads...