Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Non-disc brake wheel on disc brake suspension fork?
Hi there,
just got a x-rated 50 dirt bake frame. It has no wheels and pedals and the front fork is a disc-brake one with suspension( Suntour). I tried to put my non-disc brake quick-release wheel on the fork, but it didn't fit. I can't manage to put it in a straight position and spikes are touching the calliper and fork on that side( where the disc brake calliper is). Do I need a speacial wheel, designed for that fork or just any disc-brake wheel will fit?

PS Do disc-brake wheels have different design/construction?
I thought all disc fronts were offset as the hub has to make room for the disc rotor flange.
No idea...
So, any disc-brake wheel should fit then?
No, they are not offset (as far as I know), they have some dish (like rear wheels). There are about five new standards for axles in the MTB world, none of which I am familiar with. Could it be one of those? Also I do not understand what "and spikes are touching the calliper and fork on that side" means.
(03-16-2014, 10:00 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  No, they are not offset (as far as I know), they have some dish (like rear wheels).
There are about five new standards for axles in the MTB world, none of which I am familiar with. Could it be one of those?
Also I do not understand what "and spikes are touching the calliper and fork on that side" means.
The hub flanges on the front wheel he needs are not evenly spaced (the right is offset), like a rear wheel, thus the need for dish I believe.
I think he meant "and spokes are touching the caliper and fork on that side". They are touching on the caliper side as the front he's using has no hub flange offset, they are evenly spaced, so no dish, no clearance. I think I'm correct, but it's been awhile since I've looked at one.
I bet his fork width is correct for his hub, if the drop outs are for a standard 9mm I think he just needs a generic at minimum.
(03-16-2014, 01:53 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(03-16-2014, 10:00 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  No, they are not offset (as far as I know), they have some dish (like rear wheels).
There are about five new standards for axles in the MTB world, none of which I am familiar with. Could it be one of those?
Also I do not understand what "and spikes are touching the calliper and fork on that side" means.
The hub flanges on the front wheel he needs are not evenly spaced (the right is offset), like a rear wheel, thus the need for dish I believe.
I think he meant "and spokes are touching the caliper and fork on that side". They are touching on the caliper side as the front he's using has no hub flange offset, they are evenly spaced, so no dish, no clearance. I think I'm correct, but it's been awhile since I've looked at one.
I bet his fork width is correct for his hub, if the drop outs are for a standard 9mm I think he just needs a generic at minimum.

Hi,
yes, you are right. I am thinking of taking the calliper off, but one of the allen bolts has the thread worn and can't be unscrewed. How can this be sorted out?
Ah, ok, this is what you mean with offset - for me this refers to asymetric hubs as they are (were?) used on some downhill bikes that had asymetric rear triangles so the spoke angles would be same on both sides, or to asymetric rims (the spoke holes are offset to get more even spoke angles). Oh, and I just realised that indeed the "i" and "o" are next to each other, so "spikes" should have read "spokes", which I could have guessed (even as a non-native speaker).

Try and remove the old brake caliper. If the thread has been worn it could be possible to push from the bottom of the bolt while unscrewing it. Maybe it still bites somewhere and can be removed. My guess is that it is not the bolt that has been stripped...
I just realized I can try and unscrew using some pliers that have good grip. Hopefully will be able to remove it. If not, maybe cutting the bolt will help.

Possibly Related Threads...