What adjustment is actually required

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Rodneyy Offline

What adjustment is actually required
Hi guys
Thanks for looking at my post
I've only got into cycling less than a year so dont know too much appart from tightening brakes but after reading up quite a bit and watching videos on gears I feel even more lost, especially after reading
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur

Basically my wheels got stolen so I ordered new wheels and the shop fitted a Shimano Alivio CS-HG20 7-speed cassette with the same number of sprockets as my old rear wheel cassette which was stolen (SRAM 12-32) . As the wheels I got were for 8/9 speed the shop fitted a spacer so that a 7 speed cassette would fit

My question is do I really need to adjust the Front derailed at all? And do I need to mess around and change the L and H settings as it seems to be fine already, my only issue seems to be that 3 and 4 gear seem to jump and the other gears dont sound like the use to. Is it that I just need to adjust the tensioner or do i also need to adjust the B screw adjuster

Or have I just purchased the wrong rear cassette as I got a shimano cassette instead of a SRAM cassette? Does that make a difference

Ps the specs of my gears before wheels stolen are below only difference is the rear cassette

Cheers

Shimano EF-51 EZ Fire shifters, Shimano front and Shimano Altus rear derailleur, Shimano FCM141 chainset, 48/38/28 tooth chainrings with chainguard, SRAM 12-32 tooth cassette, 7-speed
Oct 30, 2012 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
RE: What adjustment is actually required
I would have to ask how many miles or years do you have on the chain and would check the chain to see if it has been worn. Did you put the parts on or did the shop? if it was the shop I am sure the y adjusted what was needed for it to shift properly. now some of us prefer different rear clusters over others and I would have gone with the sram over the shimano at that level. I also am not a fan of the spacer but what is done is done My guess would be the chain if I could not see the bike.
In your case I would have recommended a total upgrade to an 8 speed because the price of the wheels, rear cassette are the same and the shimano 8spd version of your shifter is not that much more . anyways I would try to fine tune the rear derailluer but would not rule out the chain
sorry to hear about your wheels . I would also check the hanger alignment of the rear derailluer because if they stole your wheels they may have roughed it up a bit if they just dropped the bike on the ground

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Oct 30, 2012 06:50 PM
Rodneyy Offline

(Oct 30, 2012 06:50 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I would have to ask how many miles or years do you have on the chain and would check the chain to see if it has been worn. Did you put the parts on or did the shop? if it was the shop I am sure the y adjusted what

Hi, thanks for your reply,

The chain is less than 6 month as the bike is less than 6 months too

I purchased the wheel and the cassette online and they fit spacer and sent to me

I just fitted the tyres and fitted to the frame, im not sure if I should mess with the B or just the tension adjuster

cheers about about "check the hanger alignment", Ill google that
cheers
Oct 31, 2012 08:17 AM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
Ok then, assuming your chain is good. the only things that may need adjusted "H" "L" screws and the rear derailluer dialed in. But highly recommend checking the rear hanger alignment which takes a tool that most do not have but a shop should. and the wheel should be trued first.
This is the first thing I do to a bike with shifting problems in the rear and any used bike I purchase for myself or new bike I assemble out of the box.
I always start with this tool, and your bike may have been slightly damaged when the wheels were jacked
If this is out of your scope take it to a shop that you know does quality work

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Oct 31, 2012 03:51 PM
torquecyclerepairs Offline

For hanger alignment without the tool I just take the rear wheel off of my other bike, remove the cassette and screw it into the hanger. Measure the parallelism between the wheels and adjust as needed. If that makes sense?

Torque Cycle Repairs Bicycle Repairs Bournemouth & Poole
Apr 13, 2013 10:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help Please: RED Yaw FD Adjustment verve825 1 139 Oct 18, 2014 03:52 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Gear Adjustment problems davepepper1 7 3,487 Apr 13, 2013 08:35 AM
  Help with adjustment with Symmetric shifter krashTest 2 2,832 Oct 1, 2012 06:38 PM
Last Post: krashTest
  Derailleur cable adjustment Bob K Denver 5 3,685 Sep 24, 2012 12:53 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Front Derailleur Needs Constant Adjustment Rbz5416 3 3,015 Jul 29, 2012 06:43 AM
Last Post: RobAR
  Front derailleur adjustment- not enough cable pull? winsecure 3 7,306 May 27, 2012 07:57 AM
Last Post: trevgbb
  Front derailleur adjustment question bigphil 1 3,605 Aug 10, 2011 06:55 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Shifting and barrel adjustment. Free_Spirit 5 7,613 Jun 23, 2011 06:26 PM
  Rear deraileur B screw has no more adjustment Gardner 6 8,538 Feb 23, 2011 10:21 AM
Last Post: Gardner
  What is this Stay adjustment tab? GeorgeET 2 3,254 Feb 7, 2011 06:30 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET