Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Won't come off
Hello!

I am trying to remove a headset so I can service it but one part won't come off, I'm trying lubricating it and leaving it overnight. But I don't know if I should be trying to screw it off or trying to bang it off.

Any help would be appreciated!
The knurled ring un-screws. It should only be finger tight.

But the threads appear to be damaged above....

I would use a clamp like this one the fork crown:
http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-Size-2-Inch-Handscrews-Clamp/dp/B0000224CS/

Put a rubber tube over the knurled ring (part of an old inner tube), then grab the knurled ring with vice grips or slip joint pliers.

The threads on the steerer tube are a problem. They will damage the threads on the knurled ring.

Are you trying to salvage the fork? How about the knurled ring?

After you get the fork off the bike, the threads will need to be chased, which may or may not be effective. If not; new fork. The knurled ring may or may not be salvageable. They come as part of a headset. http://www.amazon.com/Tange-Seiki-Passage-Threaded-Headset-Chrome/dp/B001GSKO60/ref=sr_1_4?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1403111814&sr=1-4&keywords=headset

Bottom line; looks like someone abused things.
Nigel
Like Nigel said, it unscrews. Should be tight enough to take out bearing play, and allow free fork movement. Than the lock nuts above keep it from unscrewing. But what are you trying to do?

As far as it being stuck, soaking like you are doing is good. Penetrating fluids work better than oil. Large side slip joint pliers or plumbers pipe wrench will do the trick. But wrap some protection on the nut so as not to mar it.

For the damaged threads you can put the lock nut back on and with some oil run it up and down a few times that will help. Also a small thread triangular file can be used to clean up threads.
Never Give Up!!!
(06-18-2014, 05:28 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  ......For the damaged threads ........ Also a small thread triangular file can be used to clean up threads.

Probably a good idea BEFORE removing the knurled ring into the damaged threads.

George - wish I had thought of that first Smile
Nigel
Cant think of everything Nigel. The thread repair file gets used a lot by the vintage BMW Motorcycle riders who do not use anti seize on their large header pipe nuts and than damage exhaust thread on removal.
Never Give Up!!!