Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New road bike
Went for it!! Rode a cerve'lo S5 today in the snow!Real nice bike! It said TAKE ME HOME! So I DID!How cool is that?It is a 2013 S5 with rival groupo. I Really like the way this thing rides! Got it for $2380 out the door! SWEET! I also got a pro fitting coming up included in that price. Lifetime tuneups. and A jersey! Whats not to like! I was really amazed at how the bike feels! I didn't like a race geo but this bike feels different than others. Rode about 10 miles or so in the snow! The funny thing is I had not even considered this brand. Just happened to walk in while they were getting ready for a big sale this weekend. Jumped on a Synapse carbon 5 again just to decide. Told the owner after that it didn't have the pep I was looking for but I need the comfort!He said try this thing and BOOM it is at my house now!(After paying for it first)LOL Definitely smiling ear to ear!
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Looks pretty sweet!! Now I can finally sit back and relax ! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Incredible bike. Look at that seat tube.
Slick! Nice ride you got there!
I do envy you quite a bit for that bike, I have to admit. I never rode it, I feel that riding such a steed would make it very hard to go back to my more entry level bikes...
Still, congratulations! Cérvelo does make some very nice bikes.
Thanks folks! I am Stoked about it and can't wait for the weather to break! I just stumbled into this thing. I had not even considered Cervelo but got it at a price I could live with. The feel of this bike is so different from others I rode I couldn't leave it behind! IU could have gone with the felt and been happy I think but this thing is off the hook!!! I have seen it online for less than I paid but I am getting the royal treatment from the LBS and a total pro fit. Gotta like it!

You know it really is a sick frame!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

The fit is worth a lot, from a comfort and efficiency point of view. For these things it dies make sense to buy locally, oh yes!
(03-26-2014, 09:42 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  The fit is worth a lot, from a comfort and efficiency point of view. For these things it dies make sense to buy locally, oh yes!

Yes it does. They charge $320 for the fit. And the owner and I fish so we are setting up some fishing trips together! Bonus!!=)

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Looks like a nice bike. Where are the shifters, in brake levers?

One day I'll try a modern bike, for now I just love the springy quad butted cro mo framed 1985 Fuji that just loves to sprint.

AS per getting online for less the service package and dealer set up with pro fit is well worth the extra bucks....Good ridinnn

BTW a quick look online did not find a better price, so IMO you got a deal..........
Never Give Up!!!
George They are Sram Rival groupo. The shifters are behind the brake lever. Rode it a little today and she needs some adjustments but I still say man this thing is fast! I am sure this bike will help me grow as a cyclist. I did have her slip in a turn today and scare the stuffins out of me.=( But She recovered well.

The owner looked up the frame yesterday and it was $3200. Felt real good about it!

It's like my signature says!

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Yes, the é is expensive... hope you only slipped and did not fall! Safe riding!

Now get latex tubes (more puncture resistant and less rolling resistance) and high profile rims (Zipp 808 or maybe 404 firecrest) - unless you do lots of climbing of course Wink you saved quite some money on the bike so you can totally justify these expenses ;-)
Actually the Fulcrum Racing 1 are not too shabby, I'd totally keep the bike as she is.

What tyres are currently on it? I really like the Conti GP 4000s, they are probably one of the best compromises in terms of really good puncture resistance (for a racing tyre) while still being quite fast, they also have a lot of grip when cornering and usually score good marks (in the German cycling rags, that is). I know from articles on slowtwitch.com that they are also primary choice for several triathletes.
WOW! As much as I think this is a COOL bike I may return it for something else.=( Rode it again today and seems like as long as you go straight it is bad a$$! When you hit a corner it wants to cut out from under you! I am now officially scared of this bike! It is so fast I don't know if I am ready for this bike! Going for a medium length ride tomorrow morning. Then I am going to go and talk to the shop I bought it from. Will decide after that.

I think I can find a happy medium. This bike is EXTREME! Very perplexed. Thought I was done with this!!!=(
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Bill, sounds like more of a weight distribution issue than the bike its self. It sounds like late rider input. You have to ride in tune with the bike and not let the bike ride you. getting the bike fit may help some, riding style will help alot. Slow down a bit until you get some miles in and do not get so aggressive thru the turns. If you do not mind my asking, how old are you Bill? Do you plan on racing?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Interesting. Have you been riding other bikes for a while or is this a new thing for you. Looking at the frame design it does look like a short wheel base bike (have not seen specs) which does make it quicker to steering input . As PK said more experience and smooth riding style will bring out the best. Learn proper turning lines for it and how best to enter and exit a corner. I know this from motorcycling.

BTW are you riding on good dry roads, no loose sand or black ice. The racing tires you have may not be as grippy as needed for road conditions .
Never Give Up!!!
Painkiller I don't mind at all, I appreaciate the interest in helping me out!=)Well I am 56 yo and this is my first road bike in 30 years!A lot of this purchase was I believe, Bling! I did test ride but all on straight trail. I should have gone with the first instinct of the felt f5 or z5. But on the other hand that S5 is a screaming deamon! Don't get me wrong I really do like the bike. I just should have gone home and thought about it.Maybe this should have been my second bike! I do have 10 days to return it. Just really confused about this bike and how to ride it. Does not seem very forgiving. I don't plan on racing at this point. Thats why I am thinking this way. I want to have fun and get fit!

Et: The roads are regular neighborhood roads. could be a little sand here and there but i went back and looked at the spot both times and nothing unusually sandy. did see a small black mark on both occasions. Maybe there IS a need for new tires? I am going to talk to the shop owner tomorrow after a ride.

Thanks again you guys for the help.Am very disheartened at the whole thing! Hope I can get past this. All I wanted to do when it happened was put it AWAY!

Thanks
Bill

PS:May need to change my signature!!LOL

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Oh ye another thing to add slow down when entering turns hard barking in the middle of turns throws your line off, you can lightly stay on the brakes. Also not pumping your tires to max will give you more traction.

Talk to the LBS see what he advises. It is a hot bike, so go slower for a while.
Never Give Up!!!
Yeah, the transition to a nimble bike like that will be extreme! The Cervélo you bought is a pure bred racing bike, fast and agile. I know that there are some vids on the web on proper riding technique and also things to practice (cornering, braking, ...). They involve riding a lot on empty parking lots and quiet side streets and using water bottles as course markers. Take it slowly, and work your way up to higher speeds. I still go back to those things, especially after a nasty crash a couple of years back (lost quite some skin in my face, but nothing broke, looked a lot like the Phantom of the Opera). Last year proper braking saved me when I had to do avoid a crash in a pack...

The tyres should be ok, I cannot really see the brand but hte little yellowish spot next to the white text tells me Continental - likely the GP 4000s (I hope, on a bike like this), you will not get much more cornering ability than those.

If you are really scared of the bike and cannot get to grips with it you might really have to bring it back.
Joe, I don't know if this bike knows slow!LOL I am also trying to avoid the phantom of the opera look!
Taking it for a ride in a couple of minutes to see how I feel with it. Shop opens at 10:00 will be there.
Thanks Guys,
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Ok fellas, Was off today and took it to the lbs cause it was raining and I was not about to ride this thing in the rain! So talked to the owner of the Bike Doctor in Arnold and he was genuinely concerned. They started their annual tent sale and are VERY busy. He dropped what he was doing and he and his best fitter took me to their speed shop for a pro fit. 2.5 hours later I was on a new bike. was leaving the shop and it was nuts but it stopped raining and the sun came out and man you all were correct!!! Took a 35 mile run and the thing is now SWEET! they adjusted the shifters and fit me to the bike. Seat was about 2.5-3" to far back. Inverted the stem for a different posture. Got some real good instruction on riding. I swear it is like a different bike. (OR rider!)I am surely keeping it. I was amazed how fast it went and how well it handled after the fit! What a nice machine and should keep me learning for a LONG time! Another thing the shop did was told me he would take it back without a problem and sell me another one! He really wanted me to get this one right because it is so sweet! Great shop!

I really do appreciate you guys talking me down from the ledge! I was truely heart broken over this!

Thanks again!
Bill

Cervelo S5
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Thanks for the update Bill, sounds like you found a great LBS too. I knew you would get it worked out. I had faith.
p.s I like to fish too! ha
Cool, good you got things sorted out and realized that there is a learning curve involved. Think about some of the advice you got here. Kuddos to your LBS sounds like a good one. 35 miles is a good ride.
Happy trails........
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-31-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SPINMAN

05-26-2023, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Jesper