Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What bicycle should I purchase?
I recently had my bike stolen so I am now looking for a new bike. I like the brands Cannondale, Giant, and Trek because there are local bike shops that sell them and I can get a sweet warranty. Im looking for a bike that can handle all weather conditions (disk breaks), comfortable long rides (20 mi) on pavement, as lightweight as possible for my preferences, and the durability to hop off city curbs and ride on rough brick streets with a max budget of $800.00.

There are three bike models that are currently standing out to me (but I am up for other suggestions):
Trek 7.2 FX Disc
Cannondale Quick CX 4
Giant Seek 3

Thank You!!
For me the first step when I have decided on a local purchase is to visit the merchants and inquire about the item. Go into each shop, and don't go in assuming they are going to rip you off or be dishonest. Put your criteria to them and find out what they like or don't about each bike and possible other suggestions. Ask them about their policy on the initial adjustment period, what they do on an assembly. In doing so you will find out both level of knowledge and their customer service orientation. Then test ride each bike if possible.

There is simply no substitute for in-person interaction. The Internet can be great for volume of response, not necessarily for quality.

Hopping off curbs is not particularly stressful if done properly. Improper riding is the stressor.
Similarly to our Syracuse friend: 1st pick the local shop based on the people there, service, attitude, etc. Then get them to recommend a couple of bikes for you based on your needs and wants.
Nigel
well robemeen, honestly I might go for one of the framesets that I liked but for me the mech disc brakes are just not my cup of tea, but worst of all are the $30 to $40 cranksets that these bikes and others in that price range offer. rivited stamped steel crap just a cut above a nice dept. store brand. With disc only frames and forks that even rules that out. you buy it today and its worth about half or so tomorrow. you would be better off to look for a 2012 model for around $400 or less and swap out the cheap cranks, derailluers, cluster, shifters for the extra $400 in the kitty and have a much nicer bike in the end. I love flatbar road bikes but the drivetrain needs an upgrade out of the box on those bikes if you want a quality feel.
Just go to bike shop and take a close look at the components and with what and how they are made. compare the quality and you may want to save a couple more hundred to get that from a new model if you cannot get a late model much cheaper and upgrade it yourself
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Check out the Gt Tachyon 2.0 a 2013 and 2014 model
these would be more bang for the buck especially if you can locate a 2013 or 2012 model
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Jesper

02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Last Post: nfmisso