Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Servicing Suntour XCM V3 Forks
Hello All,
I have a Trek 4500 unfortunately fitted with Suntour XCM V3 forks as standard.
They have the lockout on the handlebars that is functional but rarely used. The bike has done about 6500 KM of dirt roads and trails and the forks are ready for a service (if this is possible) The forks squeek a lot and the top seal seems to be weeping a little oil. I am in a remote location so am worried that when I strip it down I may break something that I will not be able to replace.
Does anybody have a link to site that shows this particular fork being serviced? My internet connection is extremely slow would prefer a written instruction as opposed to You Tube etc.

Thanks a lot
Matt
Hi Matt;

There are many different versions of the XCM V3; some with no damping, some with oil damping - makes a HUGE difference. They also made/make 26" and 29" verions (and probably 27½" versions too). Is your steerer 1 or 1 1/8 inches; threaded or threadless?

I would suggest purchasing a replacement fork - do you really need the suspension? A non-suspension for will save you 4 to 5 lbs.....
Nigel
Thanks Nigel.
OK, the fork is an "SFII XCM V3 PM-DS-HRL-26-100. the steere is a 1 1/8 threadless stock. I think that I do need suspension as the tracks I ride are often washed out with the heavy rains leaving a washboard effect on the track. The suspension seems to stop me rattling to peices.
Here is a replacement that will fit:
http://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-XCR-Remote-Lockout/dp/B005OUS1MU/

you will need a new star nut - they are not re-useable.

Low end forks, like most automobile shock absorbers, are not intended to be rebuilt. Of course, you can give it a try, but I would strongly suggest that you have a replacement fork (with star nut) on hand before you do.
Nigel
Thanks Nigel. I think I need to bite the bullet and go for a slightly higher end, servicable fork this time.

Possibly Related Threads...