Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What Kind of Carrera is it?
Hello friends! Long time reader, first time creating a profile here. I'm hoping some of you seasoned road riders can help me on a bike ID. Pardon my ignorance on street bikes, I grew up in a town where the mountain biking held much more appeal than sharing the road with non-sympathetic folks in big trucks. Anyways, I'll cut to the chase:
-for my birthday in 2010 my family bought me a used carrera street bike. I rode it a ton, loved it, but once again live somewhere where I simply don't feel safe on the roads.
-I have one single crappy photo of it hanging with some other bikes, which pretty much only shows the colors.
-At that time it had its original paint, a faded orange and pink blend with gold-ish lettering and polished aluminum front forks.
-Like a fool I painted the entire frame without keeping any documentation of what it actually is.
-Here's what I do know: It's made for shorter people, I wear a 30 inch inseam, am 5'8" and it fits my body perfectly. It also has a unique tire size I am told, the tires say 25-571 (650X25C). It has quick adjusts for the derailers on the lower tube, and I remember the frame being labelled for something relating to triathlons or marathons. Oh and the label also said it was not aluminum or steel but some blend of metals.
-I have attached 2 pictures to help, the neon green and orange is the paint job I did. Thank you all for any help you can offer!!!
Based on the size of the tubes, I would guess that the frame is chrome-moly alloy steel. Does a magnet stick to it? Also check the forks. Cr-Mo steel is not as magnetic as plain carbon steel, but it will hold.
Nigel
Hello Nigel, thank you for the reply. I will do the magnet test later today. Assuming it sticks weakly and we gather that it is Cr-Mo, will that narrow it down to a certain group or range of manufacturing dates? Thanks-Mike
May I ask what it matters as to the year? Not important for determining compatible replacement equipment, certainly not a bike valued by collectors.
It would help to know about the equipment on the bike. tell us model name and numbers if you can. that will help narrow down the years it may be. Looks like a nice bike and a nice gift. It is always nice to know the year for if you ever sell it you know what to put in the ad.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
CNY-MAN: Thank you for the positive and helpful input, I'll be sure to inform potential buyers of it's collector status and steer clear of bicycle museums. I am inquiring about it's approximate manufacture date because knowing the the year is typically useful and is the first thing asked when trying to id and sell any part, whether it be for cars, motorcycles, etc.

PAINKILLER: Thank you for the response, I agree that it is nice to know what you are selling. I wish I knew more, so far I haven't located a serial number in all the common places. looks like it was pieced together with whatever was lying around. Mostly mid-quality shimano parts. I was hoping the 650 wheels and bizarre original color would narrow it down.
Yep 10-4 to that PK and KX. Its always nice to know the history of your bike. Does not have much to do with value. But knowledge is good Mr. C. What, you having a long winter?
Never Give Up!!!
(04-20-2014, 01:07 AM)kx361 Wrote:  CNY-MAN: Thank you for the positive and helpful input, I'll be sure to inform potential buyers of it's collector status and steer clear of bicycle museums. I am inquiring about it's approximate manufacture date because knowing the the year is typically useful and is the first thing asked when trying to id and sell any part, whether it be for cars, motorcycles, etc.

I made a polite request for more info, as you did not initially say you were going to sell the bike, and then made a factual statement, nothing more. It's your choice to inject a nasty tone into both the query and your reply. For a bicycle that you now report has had numerous random changes to OEM, the year of the frame is not very important at all, but if you just want to know have at it.
Not quite a fact as yet, there are different Carrera's on the market, same name different company's. I was trying to find out what exact components his had to determine if he had a real Carrera as most would be Campy equipped, and those are desired by some. I believe to be handmade in Italy. The fork looks like a nice fork, I would like to some close up shots of the bike.here is an example
http://www.carrera-podium.it/en/the-brand

On the other note to C-man, most people just want to know what they
have just to know. you basically called his gift from his family junk. without really knowing what he has yet. Your question posed to the O.P. was not going to help him find out what he wanted to know either.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
CNY-man: While I appreciate an honest person, there was probably a more friendly way for you to introduce your opinion about Carrera bikes. Fact or not, does it really help either of us to say things like that? I was just trying to talk to some new friends about a possession I have grown to love, but have to sell due to bad circumstances.
Ok PK, here's some more info like you asked for. Thank you for trying to help me, I know you're a big fish in the bicycletutor pond, and this minnow appreciates the help!
I took a closer look and the following are my observations.
-55-56 cm seat tube, I am 5'8" with a 30.5 inch inseam and with the seat in normal position I rode this bike very comfortably.
-Bontrager 650 racelite tires 25-571 (650x25c)
-Vuelta wheel hubs
-Wheels marked "Two Left Two Right Hand Made xrp0440918"
-Dual Derailer Quick Adjust levers on lower frame tube
-fairly new green handlebar wraps
-TekTro front and rear brakes
-Shimano 600 front 2-gear set, 53 tooth and 39 tooth
-SRAM 9 speed rear gear set
-Shimano RX100 Front Derailer
-Shimano 600 Rear Derailer
-Specialized 'Body Geometry' seat
-Origin-8 stem
-Shimano FlightDeck combination brakes / shifters
-Ritchey clip-in pedals
No serial number to be found. I know it's an original Carrera alloy frame, the new paint layer is just a tad too thick to find a stamped serial. At this point I guess we're done speculating. The only way to know exactly what it it would be to strip off the paint until I find a serial, but at that point the bike would be too ugly to sell. Kind of a catch 22.
Oh, I got another question! I ended up with a Cannondale superv400 full suspension mtb. The mag chloride damage was so bad I had to cut the chain off with a dremel...in 4 pieces! Anyways, I got it working again with a new chain, anybody know of some kind of spray that dissolves rust? Holy water maybe?
Yes, I know I could have come off better - sorry. For yours and other poster's future reference - drive side pics are the most helpful, unless there's something specific on the other sided that is of concern. Drive train components can be seen as well as any writing on the chainwheels, chainstay.

Why don't you try the horse's mouth - can't hurt.
http://www.carrera-podium.it/en/contact-us
(04-20-2014, 12:40 PM)kx361 Wrote:  Oh, I got another question! I ended up with a Cannondale superv400 full suspension mtb. The mag chloride damage was so bad I had to cut the chain off with a dremel...in 4 pieces! Anyways, I got it working again with a new chain, anybody know of some kind of spray that dissolves rust? Holy water maybe?

Not a spray; but you can brush on; Oxalic acid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid
In the USA it is available at automobile parts stores for removing rust on car parts.
Nigel
With the list you have so far it is an hodge podge for sure. The crankset and rear derailleur could be about the only original parts and most likely not 9 speed and would go period correct for the type fork you have. wheelset probably not original and no help for dating purposes. as far as the serial# you seek, do not worry about that as many makers do not use those for dates. clues to dating can be found by the frame construction its self. still would like to see shots of the fork/crown/lugs and joints/welds.
As you well know by now you did not do yourself any favors by not documenting decals and such before personalizing the frame.
If the 600 components are original, that would narrow it down to early 90's late 80's. Lets see some good close up shots
CNY, NF, and PK, you guys are rockstars. I'll get those pictures you asked for next time I'm in the garage. Thanks!
Ok fellas, here are some close-ups. Any info is appreciated. I have a fascination with the history of machinery, perhaps thats why I chose to fix up a 1990 Weed Whacker (bought new by my Dad) rather than just getting a new one with no soul. Cheers!