Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help with rear hub pls.
Hello. Sorry or my English.
My bike:
Fuji Tahoe Ltd 2011 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles
After year of using i have noticed that rear weel have play.
I have disassebled rear hub... seems to water was here.
Here i see two types of ball bearings: smaller (11pcs) and bigger (9pcs). Smaller was rusted, but cone is good, bigger- without rust but cone is damaged.
I have attached some photos of my problem. Cannot find any online catalog of Fuji parts. Hub- marked Fuji, not Shimano. What i should to do?
Thanks.

[Image: 1.JPG]

[Image: 2.JPG]

[Image: 3.JPG]

[Image: 4.JPG]

[Image: 5.JPG]

[Image: 6.JPG]

[Image: 7.JPG]

[Image: 8.JPG]

[Image: 9.JPG]

[Image: 10.JPG]

[Image: 11.JPG]
Surprised they are still using cones and not sealed bearings, but best thing to do is replace the ball bearings, usually 3/16 and 1/4", the damaged cone should be replaced too and than re install with lots of water proof grease, like boat trailer wheel grease. Tighten cones and than lock nuts till the wheel does not have side to side play when mounted on the bike and rocked by the rim

Contact your Fuji dealer re Cone, Its a recent bike so parts should be available, you may need to buy a complete set , axle and cones etc...
You can take it to a nearest bike shop to see if they can mach it.
In my experience cones are hard to find , so many different bikes.

Nice photos, BTW......
Never Give Up!!!
I wrote to Fuji (via Facebook), where i can find axle set. Baddest thing is that this hub is uncompatible with Shimano.
guys, can be another hub from Shimano installed here without any mod's?
(06-09-2014, 03:27 AM)igoris.bo Wrote:  guys, can be another hub from Shimano installed here without any mod's?

Maybe; it is a wheel rebuild. The spoke length may be an issue. It is basically a wheel rebuild.
(06-08-2014, 03:05 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Surprised they are still using cones and not sealed bearings, ......

George; all current Shimano hubs are cup, cone and loose balls....
(06-07-2014, 10:47 PM)igoris.bo Wrote:  ......bigger- without rust but cone is damaged.....

The bigger balls appear to be ¼" (6.35mm) - which is standard for most rear hubs. Another cone will probably work fine, may need an extra washer, or one less washer. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-FH-RM40-Left-Rear-Cone/dp/B001GSOKR4/
Nigel
Replacement cones are though to find unless its a current bike and the manufacturer provides them. OR you know what thread you need. When I was rebuilding my wheels I tried all the cones in the neighborhood and finally found a matching thread for my 1985 Fuji del Rey. I looked in a box full of axle nuts and could not find matching thread. Next time I'll just get new wheels.......Nothing was standard. Maybe currently more so, do not know.

Interesting that Shimano is still using cones and bearings, as long as they provide parts its good...........replacing sealed bearings takes skill........
Never Give Up!!!
(06-09-2014, 01:52 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Replacement cones are though to find unless its a current bike and the manufacturer provides them. OR you know what thread you need. When I was rebuilding my wheels I tried all the cones in the neighborhood and finally found a matching thread for my 1985 Fuji del Rey. I looked in a box full of axle nuts and could not find matching thread. Next time I'll just get new wheels.......Nothing was standard. Maybe currently more so, do not know.....

Standards are:
* M9 x 1 (front)
* M10 x 1 (rear)
* 5/16" - 24 TPI (front)
* 5/16" - 26 TPI (front)
* 3/8" - 24 TPI
* 3/8" - 26 TPI

Most older bike shops in the day, had the inch stuff, and not the metric.
Nigel