Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Value of Peugeot Tourmalet?
I am thinking about buying a Peugeot Tourmalet. I think it is a 1992, but am not sure.

The seller is asking $375. Is this a reasonable price? What could I sell the bike for in 5 years?

Thanks for the advice.

[Image: edit?usp=sharing]
Mismatched rims decreases value and may indicate the bike was in an accident, with possible attendant frame damage. Zero collectible value, so it will depreciate in 5 years.

Previous thread on bikeforums.net for similar bike: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/771273-early-90-s-peugeot-tourmalet-pe-200-need-info-about-restoration-little-out-there.html
Definitely NOT investment grade. The frame has to be double butted Reynolds 531, Tange No1 or No2, Columbus, TrueTemper or similar.
Nigel
Man cant think of any investment grade bikes. Maybe some mint bikes from the 20's...Just ride he suckers........:-)
Never Give Up!!!
George - I absolutely agree with you Smile

Though I do admit to selling an Ibis tandem (complete) and a Jack Taylor tandem frame for more than we paid for them Smile In the case of the Ibis - the seller had not a clue what they had - and honestly I didn't either when we purchased it, but research found the answer. It the case of the Jack Taylor, the big influence was moving it 50 miles north (to San Jose).

To the OP - generally we do not worry about the value of the bike, we are looking for ones that fit us, are comfortable and fun to ride. We modify bikes to suit us, not for some future value.
(05-14-2014, 03:06 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Man cant think of any investment grade bikes. Maybe some mint bikes from the 20's...Just ride he suckers........:-)

Jack Taylor's bikes are an example of investment grade.

The "real" Schwinn Paramount bikes are another. The problem is, at the end, Schwinn slapped Paramount labels on all sorts of sub-par bikes.
Nigel
That's strange? I guess I do not know what an "investment grade" bike is. I make money on every used bike I sell. Mmmmm
But to answer the question, I think $375 is way high for that bike. But I have no idea of original list. it is a nice looking bike but the question of the wheels are a big hit for me. You can find better for that dollar
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-14-2014, 05:00 PM)painkiller Wrote:  That's strange? I guess I do not know what an "investment grade" bike is. I make money on every used bike I sell. Mmmmm

Bob; you are the exception to the "generally". Smile

My wife would like me to be an exception too, but it hasn't been working so well for me.
Nigel
The "real" Schwinn Paramount bikes are another. The problem is, at the end, Schwinn slapped Paramount labels on all sorts of sub-par bikes.
Nigel

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeh Nigel , you read my mind. That's one of the few bikes I was thinking about. Few others but I aint sayinn.:-)
Yeh PK and Nigel and you earn it.........
Never Give Up!!!
I would like to see some more detailed pics of the ole Pew, I bet it has a decent ride, it looks built decent and something to work with but the asking price seems to make it not too worth the while. I never really consider myself a collector, but do enjoy a self sustaining hobby and love to search for and refurbish bikes, keep them for awhile to enjoy and find good homes for them. Like I said before, there is not a bike out there that is a money maker if you had to pay yourself by the hour to bring it back to glory. I do not know any Lbs/dealers of new bike sales that would even attempt to do to bikes that guys like myself do. They are more geared to service and selling new bikes and accessories. I just do it to feed my own habit so to speak. Not very often do I sell a project bike. One would buy my offerings because they want a bike already complete and ready to go. Not to make money on. If they can, more power to them.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-13-2014, 05:25 PM)eadamquinn Wrote:  The seller is asking $375. Is this a reasonable price? What could I sell the bike for in 5 years?
I think $200 is too much, with mismatched wheels I'd say about $80 around here. Look on your local craigslist, you can get a hell of a road bike for $400, less with old drop tube shifters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Papa Dom

06-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Last Post: JoJoJo

10-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: JanJ