Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Headset/Stem confusion
Hello.
I've recently rounded off a screw (pictured) and firstly I'm confused weather that part comes with my headset or my stem? Also can any headset fit with any stem?
I'm sure I could just buy a new screw but I'd rather buy a new headset.

If it helps I have a Social Narc 2013 bmx and the stem is a social freeloader it says the headset is just a "internal headset" now I don't know if that is internal the brand or how it's situated.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jordan
Hi Jordan;

We need a few more photos from different angles to give you specific advise.

That screw comes with your stem if you have a threaded headset, and it is quite long.

It comes with your headset if you have a threadless headset, and is quite short.

Read: http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html for more information on types and sizes of headsets, there is quite a variety.

Also, purchase a torque wrench that covers the range for your headset so that you do not damage future screws.
Nigel
Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply.

Here are a few more pictures (they have the replacement screw in)[attachment=5291], I managed to find a screw that will fit for now but I am looking for a new headset so I will look on that website, thanks for the help.

Anymore info would be appreciated.

Jordan
[attachment=5292]
It is a threadless headset.

Why do you want a new headset? Properly cared for, they typically last a lifetime.
Nigel
Looking at the Allen head bolts, you need to learn that tightening is a fingertip thing. Its not as hard as you can. Takes practice . Torque wrench is useful if you have all the torque figures. For a bicycle the smallest one you can find. Sears Craftsman are a good buy.

These are alloy pieces with hardened bolts and its real easy to strip the threads. Than you will need a new headset. Or a helicoil insert. Also use proper size Allen wrench.
Never Give Up!!!
(08-09-2014, 05:10 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Looking at the Allen head bolts, you need to learn that tightening is a fingertip thing. Its not as hard as you can. Takes practice . Torque wrench is useful if you have all the torque figures. For a bicycle the smallest one you can find. Sears Craftsman are a good buy.

These are alloy pieces with hardened bolts and its real easy to strip the threads. Than you will need a new headset. Or a helicoil insert. Also use proper size Allen wrench.

I had to tighten it so much because when i didn't i would have forward and backwards wobble coming from the headset and it would only stop when tightened.

I'll take a look at Sears Craftman, thank you.
(08-09-2014, 05:57 PM)Jordan1640 Wrote:  I had to tighten it so much because when i didn't i would have forward and backwards wobble coming from the headset and it would only stop when tightened.......

Something else is wrong.
Nigel
(08-09-2014, 09:28 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(08-09-2014, 05:57 PM)Jordan1640 Wrote:  I had to tighten it so much because when i didn't i would have forward and backwards wobble coming from the headset and it would only stop when tightened.......

Something else is wrong.

It may be the order in which you are tightening the bolts. Look up "how to adjust threadless headset". The two bolts in the side of the stem need to be loose when you are adjusting the top bolt. The top bolt should never be clamped down super tight. It is just used to pretension the bearings, then you lock in the position with the two side bolts. This is a little confusing if no one has ever walked you thru the right process and many people strip out the top bolt thinking they have to crank it down tight to get rid of the play in the headset.
(08-10-2014, 11:10 AM)DaveM Wrote:  
(08-09-2014, 09:28 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  

Something else is wrong.

It may be the order in which you are tightening the bolts. Look up "how to adjust threadless headset". The two bolts in the side of the stem need to be loose when you are adjusting the top bolt. The top bolt should never be clamped down super tight. It is just used to pretension the bearings, then you lock in the position with the two side bolts. This is a little confusing if no one has ever walked you thru the right process and many people strip out the top bolt thinking they have to crank it down tight to get rid of the play in the headset.

Thank you!!! That is the kind of response i was waiting for not just "Something else is wrong." The order i tighten the bolts will probably be the problem as i do it the way you shouldn't. Thank you very much!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

10-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Last Post: harrylucas

10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Last Post: cyclerUK