Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Which way to turn the wrench when removing pedals
Beginners who have a problem remembering which way to turn the wrench when removing pedals should remember the saying "back off". No matter what side of the bike you are working on, right or left, you mount your wrench on the top side of the pedal bolt and then turn the wrench toward the back of the bike to remove the pedal ---"back off". Then just remember when replacing the pedal or adding a new pedal to turn the wrench forward to tighten. Make sure you mount the wrench from the top of the pedal or you will be working in the opposite direction. So remember 1) mount the wrench on top of the pedal bolt and 2) "back off"

Great tip, thanks!

Here is a video tutorial that may also help:
http://bikeride.com/replace-pedals/
http://bikeride.com/v/gfYw2aErAA
Does this apply just to pedals? I broke a spanner I was borrowing off someone this morning trying to undo the nuts on my back wheel and was wondering if I'd attempted to unscrew the wrong way. Was trying to undo the back left toward the front of my bike (anti-clockwise looking onto it).
Ian,
MOST cases for wheels the general rule of thumb right to tighten and left to loosen. Also called "righty tighty, lefty loosy". Sounds like you were going in the correct direction to loosen it. Now I honestly haven't heard of any wheel nuts threaded like pedals, but I have learned of weird combinations. Does the thread of it look rusted? What model of bike you have? Also can you post a picture of the thread and nut that is giving you problems on here?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(12-14-2009, 12:14 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ian,
MOST cases for wheels the general rule of thumb right to tighten and left to loosen. Also called "righty tighty, lefty loosy". Sounds like you were going in the correct direction to loosen it. Now I honestly haven't heard of any wheel nuts threaded like pedals, but I have learned of weird combinations. Does the thread of it look rusted? What model of bike you have? Also can you post a picture of the thread and nut that is giving you problems on here?

Hi Bill,

Sorry for not posting back. I fixed the issue in the end, I think the bike shop had tightened the (cones?) very tight and hence I needed an uber spanner to undo the nut.
Sorry to hear about the over tighten. Glad you got your problem fixed. When I tighten bolts I use a Torque wrench with the suggested amount that Alex gives in his vids. Jordan300 had a case where his crank bolt had to be drilled because it was so tight. It happens. Sad
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
"Back off"

Bill - many thanks - fantastic advice - I'm just about to change my pedals and got stuck last time I did this with "one pedal not coming off".

cheers and thanks

Steve
You are welcome. Most of the credit should go to Alex and his video library because they are the best professional tutorials I have ever seen.
Stumbled across this forum by chance via Google after trying to change my pedals without success
"Back off" how simple is that...thanks worked a treat
Are you using a "pedal wrench"? If the pedal has an L on the pedal which should be on non drive side of the bike then the threads are backward of any common threaded bolt. Turn that side clockwise. The other side is normal threaded so you would turn counter clockwise.

Possibly Related Threads...