Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Gummy shifters and other nuisances

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Blu Offline

Gummy shifters and other nuisances
I have a Shimano EF-51 Shifter/Brake Lever Combo (there's a link to a good picture of it on Amazon at the bottom). Very old (I've had the bike 6+ years and I got it used) never really worked right, but when I took the plastic covers off and started fiddling they got a lot better (mostly just needed to be cleaned). However, despite using degreaser multiple times they still feel sticky and hard to push into the next higher gear. I replaced the shifter cables and adjusted the derailleurs so as far as I know it is inside the shifting mechanism itself.

Any suggestions besides replacing the whole shebang?

Also, one of the plastic transparent covers fell off, and the only solution I've been offered to keep dirt and dust out is clear plastic tape... I was hoping you guys might have a more permanent solution.

Link to picture
Feb 21, 2013 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
RE: Gummy shifters and other nuisances
The beauty of the ef-51 shifters you have is the fact that if one has an older 7 or 8 speed bicycle and needs an alternative shifter even though not exactly of "era". They are a good one to use instead of Grip or twist shifter types. The reason is because of price. VERY AFFORDABLE ! If you had problems with these from the get go, it is because of other un-noticed issues like improper setup.
With that said I would recommend buying a new set for the 7 or 8 speed you have, and be done with it. $30 dollars well spent.
Just make sure that you check the rear derailluer alignment and all are installed properly. These shifters have been used on $800 bicycles up to at least 2011 and are an available product. It would be in your favor to buy new and you are good to go for another 5 to 10 years. I am well a tuned to higher end components and realize that a line must be drawn for practical purposes and even I recommend these shifters for the budget minded consumer that does not want gripshifts including myself. Nothing is forever ( my wife has threatened to stay with me forever) but sometimes you should just replace. Smile they are good for the money and work well for v or mechanical brakes

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Feb 21, 2013 02:49 PM
Blu Offline

RE: Gummy shifters and other nuisances
Sweet! Thanks.
Feb 22, 2013 02:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to change Gear levers from Thumb Shifters to STI? CiarĂ¡nou 2 837 Feb 23, 2014 09:25 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Advice on Schwinn Caliente Shifters mrshartley917 9 842 Feb 17, 2014 09:41 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  Electronic shifters Reg 3 882 Dec 2, 2013 10:52 AM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Any shifters that can accept the cable without threading it through? d3v 1 726 Aug 17, 2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  The Feel of Stem Mounted Thumb Shifters snizz 2 1,976 Jun 9, 2013 11:46 PM
Last Post: redfoxglove
  Nexus 7 Shifters daytriker 1 1,445 May 16, 2013 09:39 PM
Last Post: Bill
  Questions about derailleurs and shifters - and cassettes MadProphet 12 4,280 Jan 3, 2013 11:07 AM
Last Post: MadProphet
  Compatibility 8sp. 9sp. Shifters rb64 1 2,936 Aug 25, 2012 09:23 AM
Last Post: xerxes
  Downtube shifters to Handlebars yloyak 7 12,213 Jun 8, 2012 10:46 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Rapid Fire Shifters limey 15 7,385 May 5, 2012 08:46 AM
Last Post: limey