Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Broken gripshifter. Repair or remove it?
Today, one of my grip shifter (for the back shifting) is broken. I've only ride the bike for less than 6 months.

Unfortunately, my chain is now off the gears. So there is almost no way to get the chain back on because the shifter is not in the correct place.

Is there a quick/alternative way to adjust the shifter so I can get my chain on the gear? Thus, at least I can ride.

Or is it a good idea to simply remove the whole back derailleur and also cut some sections of chain? maybe a lot of labor for this approach.

I just want to get the bike going ASAP.

Thanks all for suggestions!
if you cut the cable it relax to high gear in the rear, if the limit screws were set proper it should be fine, just harder to peddle at first. I prefer to replace with trigger shifter pods and new grips vs the gripshifters that I am not a fan of. what speed is your rear cluster?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks so much...I was surprised that it's so easy a fix if you understand how it works. I didn't even cut the cable.

I always thought the derailleur are difficult. It turns out such a simple concept and design.The key is the limit screws. Thanks for bringing that up. I researched and found out how they restrict the movements of the rear Derailleur. I guess the screw was too loose and the chain could always potentially spin off. Maybe that caused the gripshifter break earlier than expected.

I usually just put everything to middle since most of the ride is on urban roads. The grip shifters are easily to be rotated by accident. That's definitely not as good a design as trigger shifters.

a good video on that:
http://www.madegood.org/bikes/repair/set-a-limit-screw-on-a-rear-derailleur/

(08-05-2014, 06:55 AM)painkiller Wrote:  if you cut the cable it relax to high gear in the rear, if the limit screws were set proper it should be fine, just harder to peddle at first. I prefer to replace with trigger shifter pods and new grips vs the gripshifters that I am not a fan of. what speed is your rear cluster?

Possibly Related Threads...