Show off your bike!

Shifter Install

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
dukey133 Offline

Shifter Install
Hello,

I'm new to the bike world and I bought this bike yesterday on craigslist and when the guy helped me get it in my car he took off both the front and rear tires and therefore took of the chain and such...so I am just trying to reassemble everything.

Everything makes sense except for one piece. On the close up image, I see that the hook shaped piece will wrap around the axle and then I will secure it with the bolt. The little piece on top of the hook that is confusing me. You can see in this picture it is a small screw that has a tightening piece that is kind of "half-circle" shaped. I cannot for the life of me figure out what this piece does. The screw gets in the way so I can't put the shifter flush against the bike, I don't understand the function of this piece at all, and I'd like to figure it out instead of guessing and assembling the bike incorrectly. There is a washer on the axle also that I could put a few different places but I'm not as worried about that, unless it helps to deal with this mystery piece.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated, let me know if there are any other questions/information I can provide.

Christian

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Feb 28, 2013 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Online
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
RE: Shifter Install
The Rear Derailleur (RD) appears to be what you are having an issue with; the shifter is the thing that controls the derailleur, and appears to be handle bar mounted on your bike.

Referring to the lower picture. Remove the rear wheel and set it aside. Loosen the hex screw on the RD's hanger (J shaped stamping) so that the RD can slide into the slot in the bike frame, with the back side flush against the frame. The RD needs to go all the way to the back of the slot, tighten the hex screw to clamp the RD in place.

The washers on the wheel's axle need to go to the outside of the RD on the right side and outside of the frame on the left side.

Nigel
Feb 28, 2013 01:48 PM
dukey133 Offline

RE: Shifter Install
Nigel - I think this might just make sense. I'm very excited to try it. Thank you very much for the help I really appreciate it.
Feb 28, 2013 01:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  18 speed right-shifter pod charliebrown 9 283 Nov 20, 2014 07:41 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Mystery twist grip shifter Bunter 3 7,954 Oct 25, 2014 12:27 AM
Last Post: Daccordidavid
  Need Advice on Thumb Shifter kauls00 6 1,216 Oct 3, 2014 11:53 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Little string inside shifter is broken. What should I do? jeracravo 10 1,026 Sep 16, 2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: jeracravo
  Convert down tube shifter to STI shifters with Campag 980 6 x 2 speed JoeHigh 6 1,120 Sep 8, 2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Shimano shifter replacement question Cormitt 3 1,211 Aug 26, 2014 09:06 AM
  Shifter does not "hold" manaspaldhe12 7 1,518 Aug 4, 2014 06:28 PM
Last Post: manaspaldhe12
  Shifter Cable in FD Won't Listen Wazzawazzarum 3 788 Jul 16, 2014 05:17 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Shifter moves all the way to high gear by itself juxpin 2 1,130 Jul 16, 2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 1,040 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM