Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Removing a very old Regina America Freewheel
Hello,

I've been having a terrible time trying to remove a very old Regina America Freewheel. I purchased a Park FR4 remover from a local bike shop. However, the tool would not fit over the ridged round "nut" on the outside of the wheel. A tech at the shop indicated that I should try to "tap" the "nut" in to access the freewheel locking nut. I gave it quite a few "taps" (actually, hard raps) with no success. I tried using a vise to press on it, also with no success. I'm trying to replace a broken spoke on the freewheel side of the wheel and have been off the bike for 2 weeks. It doesn't seem that replacing a broken spoke should be this tough. Can anyone help me get this freewheel off? Thanks.

PS I've attached a url of a picture to show the type round ridged "nut" I've referred to in the above explanation (In the event that the photo didn't upload properly). The ridged "nut" is just inward of the "America" name. See url below, if necessary.
I don't see what you are referring to, but the FR-4 is specifically built to clear the spacer/locknut. This link - http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/freewheels/aregina.html discusses the Regina America, and claims that it actually takes the FR-5 remover. That page does also mention that the plastic America ring, which is a seal, can be removed - maybe that will make access easier.
There's a round ridged portion of the axel which is too large for the tool. I think your idea re an FR5 may be correct. I'll check the source you mentioned. Thanks for your thoughts.
(08-20-2014, 01:33 PM)Rutheen Wrote:  Hello,

I've been having a terrible time trying to remove a very old Regina America Freewheel. I purchased a Park FR4 remover from a local bike shop. However, the tool would not fit over the ridged round "nut" on the outside of the wheel. A tech at the shop indicated that I should try to "tap" the "nut" in to access the freewheel locking nut. I gave it quite a few "taps" (actually, hard raps) with no success. I tried using a vise to press on it, also with no success. I'm trying to replace a broken spoke on the freewheel side of the wheel and have been off the bike for 2 weeks. It doesn't seem that replacing a broken spoke should be this tough. Can anyone help me get this freewheel off? Thanks.

PS I've attached a url of a picture to show the type round ridged "nut" I've referred to in the above explanation (In the event that the photo didn't upload properly). The ridged "nut" is just inward of the "America" name. See url below, if necessary.
(08-20-2014, 02:14 PM)cny-man Wrote:  claims that it actually takes the FR-5 remover

I think that's got to be a typo. FR-5 is a cassette lock ring remover. ??
(08-20-2014, 02:39 PM)Rutheen Wrote:  There's a round ridged portion of the axel which is too large for the tool.

I think this is the issue. Some freewheels (and I think Regina is one) don't have enough clearance between the outside of the axle nuts and the inside of the freewheel for the tool to slide in. You will have to remove the axle by taking off the locknut and cone from the other side and then you'll be able to put the freewheel remover tool in. An annoyance, but forces you to repack your bearing grease anytime you remove the freewheel Smile

BTW - be very cautious of anyone who tells you to "bang on it with a hammer" as a solution to something not fitting. Especially if they tell you that over the phone.

Possibly Related Threads...