Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Looking for wheels to my trek 3500
Hello

My wheels and seat has been stolen and I am locking for new or used one to buy if anyone have any idea where I can buy them please let me know. My bike is Trek 3500 2014 size 19.5.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/3_series/3500/

Thanks
Unfortunately a complete set of wheels plus saddle and seat post may well cost most of what the entire bike cost new. You need 26 inch wheels (ETRTO size 559mm - http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html) with a rear 7 speed compatible freehub, a 13-34 7 speed cassette, then rim strips, tubes and tires, plus the correct diameter and length seat post and a saddle. For used just check Craigslist, multiple sources of new parts from online providers. Call and get quotes for everything together and look for the best deal with free shipping, coupon codes, etc. You'll be hard pressed to come out much under $300 for all new parts.
(09-11-2014, 10:21 PM)cny-man Wrote:  Unfortunately a complete set of wheels plus saddle and seat post may well cost most of what the entire bike cost new. You need 26 inch wheels (ETRTO size 559mm - http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html) with a rear 7 speed compatible freehub, a 14-34 7 speed cassette then rim strips, tubes and tires, plus the correct diameter and length seat post and a saddle. For used just check Craigslist, multiple sources of new parts from online providers. Call and get quotes for everything together and look for the best deal with free shipping, coupon codes, etc.

Thank you for your respond, I think I will sell the frame and buy a new bike because it will cost me so much.
(09-11-2014, 10:28 PM)mike3500 Wrote:  Thank you for your respond, I think I will sell the frame and buy a new bike because it will cost me so much.
I think cny-man knows more than me about bikes, but I'm pretty cheap, so why don't we check prices.
If you check your bike shop, ebay & amazon I bet you can get a seat post for under $20 (it's $25 from Trek). Same for the seat, about $25 or $30 from Trek (Bontrager SSR) so we're at $55 max for the seat problem.
The factory wheels are entry level 36 hole single wall QR. They will not hold much over 200lbs, I know from experience. If you got cheap (junk) wheels online you can do it for $60 (total) for both!. Better yet you could buy some hand built double wall wheels, 36 hole, with BOLT ON HUBS for about $130 shipped (in the US) total. Call him, talk to him, don't order from his site. He'll make just what you need. The link is just to his pre set model. I like his Jet Set CH E240 rim with a bolted hub (no quick release). He carries this one in bolted. He will need to know that your rear axle goes through the derailleur hanger. So $130 for wheels + $60 max for the seat assembly = $190
Now you need a rear cassette (we've upgraded from your old freewheel). You can easily get one with a better selection of gears for $20-$30. Here's one for more street speed. One of the guys here likes the SunRace models. The link shows even "faster" ratios.
So now we're at $220 max.
Now you need tubes & rim tape. You can get a pair of tubes for $15 max from your local bike shop. You can make rim tape from reinforced packing tape or buy Velox cloth rim tape for $10 total, so your at another $25 or $245 (max) + tires. $30-$60 will get you some MTB tires. There's a huge selection, get something that matches your intended use.
We're now at $277- $310 ish.
If that were my bike I would rebuild it. You'll get a better seat, better stronger bolted on wheels, better rear cog system, better gear ratio selection and a better ride, suited to your taste.
You'll be lucky to sell the frame for $50
Local Craigslist & bike co-ops often have used wheelsets with tires & everything for $100. I also just found a Trek 3500 on Craigslist for $200 with extra accessories
Mike, where are you and what is your budget?

I have some wheels from bikes that I am upgrading that will fit; but shipping is not worth it.

You could find a bike on Craigslist with compatible parts for less than $100- and at most you'd need a new freewheel or cassette and chain.
Nigel
(09-12-2014, 06:45 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Mike, where are you and what is your budget?

I have some wheels from bikes that I am upgrading that will fit; but shipping is not worth it.

You could find a bike on Craigslist with compatible parts for less than $100- and at most you'd need a new freewheel or cassette and chain.

I am located in Tempe AZ. I think it will be hard to find a bike fo sale with the same parts that I want.
A few quibbles with 1FJEF's post:

36 spoke wheels can easily handle over 200 lbs. Even a well-built 32 spoke can do so.

Smaller rear cogs are NOT faster. Going down to an 11 tooth cog and the cassettes shown accomplishes three things:
1. It adds two almost useless gears (48-11 and 48-12) and one barely useful gear (38/12)
2. It spreads out the jumps between gears.
3. It takes away the low gear (down to 28/32 vs. original 34 tooth cog)
No mountain bike is going to be helped by adding such high gears, especially a shock-equipped one. Anyone who uses them is doing so at the expense of both speed and fitness. Even downhill use is questionable, as any small increase over just tucking down and coasting will be marginal, as you'll use much of your energy overcoming additional wind resistance at the 30+mph speeds they are used for. With a 48 large chainwheel I would recommend to anyone that they try for a 13 small cog, certainly no smaller than 12.

Finally, he actually confirmed my guess of being hard-pressed to come out much under $300. The option of junk wheels at $30 being unwise, his total is indeed not much south of $300.
Man that's a bummer. I had a nice 1984 Trek 830 stolen, now I never leave my bike out of sight. The fancy quick release hubs are not secure. The bolt on wheels are safer. As per seat post I see people take them with them when they lock the bike, or swap QR for bolt. IMO get a cheapo bike if you need to leave it outside. As per your bike yeh its sad but the needed parts and work will just about a buy new bike. Any bike DIY in your area?

Riding around I see several stripped bicycles chained to lamp posts. Thieves will take what they can easily grab. It Sucks............
Never Give Up!!!
Hi Mike:

Any of these would provide all the wheels and seat that would work for your bike:
phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/4635010367.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/4643230530.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bik/4664798835.html

Women's bikes are especially good source for parts because they tend to be very inexpensive, and in very good shape because they were not ridden very much.
Nigel
Ya da man Nigel. Yeh sad but true. That second one looks good enough to ride.
Never Give Up!!!