Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What is wrong with my bike's gear shifting?
my brand new mountain bike's shifting is very bad. the chain keeps moving between gears by its own and it doesnt shift right when i want it to. i must keep holding on the shift down hand a bit so that the chain stay in place.
i thought messing a bit with the limit screws would solve it but i think i have over done it and made it worse.
what should i do?
Limit screws do not have any effect on shifting between gears. A brand new bike will generally have free adjustments available for 30+ days - best to take advantage rather than risk messing up and maybe voiding the warranty. If you bought unassembled then consider a bike co-op for help if there's one nearby.
I have a 6 year old Next 18 speed mountain bike and it is not shifting at the rear very well and the front only works on two sprockets. It had been sitting for a considerable time outside. I rode it three days per week for about 8 to 10 miles for exercise. I had to revert to walking because of it.
It the cost of repair exceeds what I paid for it, I plan to let it go to charity.
(10-13-2014, 05:34 PM)Old Retired Petty Officer Wrote:  I have a 6 year old Next 18 speed mountain bike and it is not shifting at the rear very well and the front only works on two sprockets. It had been sitting for a considerable time outside. I rode it three days per week for about 8 to 10 miles for exercise. I had to revert to walking because of it.
It the cost of repair exceeds what I paid for it, I plan to let it go to charity.

If the levers move the derailleurs it's often just a matter of adjusting the cable and perhaps some lubrication. Bike co-op can help if you have one nearby, videos on this site are supposed to be pretty good, but I suggest you look at written instructions on a good site first. Google "adjust (front/rear) derailleur" - sheldonbrown.com and parktool.com sites are recognized as being the best.
(10-13-2014, 07:06 PM)cny-man Wrote:  
(10-13-2014, 05:34 PM)Old Retired Petty Officer Wrote:  I have a 6 year old Next 18 speed mountain bike and it is not shifting at the rear very well and the front only works on two sprockets. It had been sitting for a considerable time outside. I rode it three days per week for about 8 to 10 miles for exercise. I had to revert to walking because of it.

If the levers move the derailleurs it's often just a matter of adjusting the cable and perhaps some lubrication. Bike co-op can help if you have one nearby, videos on this site are supposed to be pretty good, but I suggest you look at written instructions on a good site first. Google "adjust (front/rear) derailleur" - sheldonbrown.com and parktool.com sites are recognized as being the best.

Thanks for the info cny-man!

Possibly Related Threads...