Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Gear issue Noob needs help please!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Chimpboy74 Offline

Gear issue Noob needs help please!
Hi. New to the forum and looking for some help/advice.

I have been riding for last few years on a specialized mtb. I have only done very basic maintenance myself relying on LBS to do anything I deemed "too difficult". Recently I decided (after getting fed up with the cost of some of the repairs) to have a go myself.
So I have replaced the chain and cassette and new pads etc. all ok except that when I have the bike up on a stand the gears change flawlessly. However when I am riding I see an issue with shifting up a gear and the gears not shifting. If I shift up again it then changes 2 gears. I had this problem before my work and it is certainly a lot better for the new chain etc but it hasn't completely gone. I have tried tightening the cable barrel adjuster but it made no difference at all. I did try adjusting the high gear limit and low gear limit screws and no difference.

Should I admit defeat and go back to LBS? I really don't want to as I reckon I have saved over £100 doing this work myself (and that includes buying some tools)
I hope someone can help diagnose and solve the issue!!!
Apr 21, 2013 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1FJEF Offline
Veteran Member

Northern Mexico (Central CA)
RE: Gear issue Noob needs help please!
You've tightened the derailleur fasteners, right?
Is it a twist grip shifter? If so, I would replace it, they are very inexpensive, they come with cable, you can use your old housing. I have had a similar problem, & the internal white "pawl" that gave it the ratchet effect was broken.
Apr 21, 2013 02:46 PM
Chimpboy74 Offline

Hi. Thanks for the response. I will check the fasteners tomorrow. They are not twist grip shifters. I don't know what they are called but 2 levers sit underneath the handlebar. One at the front shifts up and the one closest me shifts down.
Apr 21, 2013 02:54 PM
bobtravers Offline

Is your derailleur hanger propely aligned??

Cable, housing in great shape?? or rusted?

Proper tension in cable before trying to adjust derailleur??
Apr 21, 2013 04:03 PM
haykong Offline

(Apr 21, 2013 10:35 AM)Chimpboy74 Wrote:  Hi. New to the forum and looking for some help/advice.

I have been riding for last few years on a specialized mtb. I have only done very basic maintenance myself relying on LBS to do anything I deemed "too difficult". Recently I decided (after getting fed up with the cost of some of the repairs) to have a go myself.
So I have replaced the chain and cassette and new pads etc. all ok except that when I have the bike up on a stand the gears change flawlessly. However when I am riding I see an issue with shifting up a gear and the gears not shifting. If I shift up again it then changes 2 gears. I had this problem before my work and it is certainly a lot better for the new chain etc but it hasn't completely gone. I have tried tightening the cable barrel adjuster but it made no difference at all. I did try adjusting the high gear limit and low gear limit screws and no difference.

Should I admit defeat and go back to LBS? I really don't want to as I reckon I have saved over £100 doing this work myself (and that includes buying some tools)
I hope someone can help diagnose and solve the issue!!!

Is it inconsistent in shifting? or does it happen on certain gears in the rear? say the last 3? or mid 3? etc?

Question how old is the bike? and has the rear cable housing been replaced before along with cable? This is one possible problem especially if it's the original cables and housing.

However if it's just having problems on certain gear ranges say last 3 or mid 3.. etc and shifts fine the rest.. then it's the rear derailleur hanger is bent. You'll need the Park tool rear derailleur alignment tool and your rear wheel should be true enough to gauge the alignment of the rear derailleur hanger.
Apr 21, 2013 04:43 PM
Chimpboy74 Offline

I think based on what you say it may be the hanger. It is particularly bad shifting from 2-3 and 3-4.
I think I might replace the cables anyway. LBS has only quoted £8 for this but I kind of fancy doing it myself so I know next time!

Straightening the hanger is another matter as the tool alone is £60!!
Apr 22, 2013 04:46 AM
bobtravers Offline

Leave the derailleur hanger alignment to your LBS, since it can break if you put too much pressure trying to align it, but you can change all calbe and housing yourself!
Apr 22, 2013 04:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rear derailer refuses to travel from top to low gear bike adventurers 6 228 Aug 28, 2014 11:07 AM
Last Post: bike adventurers
  Gear shift lever replacement. packman126 2 233 Aug 22, 2014 05:20 PM
Last Post: packman126
  Shimano revo shift issue poppajeff 6 3,561 Aug 17, 2014 05:29 AM
Last Post: george@georgespeller.com
  Front gear goes down but going up is problem tapash 6 790 Jul 30, 2014 10:03 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Newer Mountain Bike Gear Skipping and/or not catching Prosercunus 1 584 Jul 28, 2014 03:18 PM
  Takes ages to shift up a gear jrstevenson1987 3 809 Jul 20, 2014 07:26 PM
  Shifter moves all the way to high gear by itself juxpin 2 597 Jul 16, 2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Frustrating issue with rear gears crot4lus 4 912 Jul 9, 2014 12:57 AM
Last Post: crot4lus
  What gear shifter for my bike?-Sturmey Archer photos jonas12 1 627 Jul 6, 2014 11:51 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Mongoose Gear Shifter/V Brake not going back past 4 Suresh 2 694 Jul 5, 2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: Suresh