Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Replacement Crankset
Hello all!

So like many others I have had the unfortunate experience of the thread on my right crank arm stripped after only a month of usage (gutting I know!). However, I am not silly enough to try and take the easy and definitely unsafe option of using a helicoil kit (as surely that would just make the hole larger than it already is and therefore the pedal even more so unstable?).

Therefore I am in the market for a new replacement crankset that I can take to my LBS to get replaced.

I currently have the Felt F95 bike, size = 58cm.
http://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f95-road-bike-2014-72321.html

I currently have the FSA Tempo 50/34T crankset installed, 175mm. However, when actually looking for a decent (but cheap) AND compatible crankset I am really struggling.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
You are welcome to pursue that choice, but there is absolutely no evidence to show that a helicoil kit leads to any problems. To the contrary, the steel threads are stronger than the original aluminum, and it's quite easy to essentially merge the helicoil and the crank arm, so that the "hole" is no larger.
(10-21-2014, 10:25 AM)cny-man Wrote:  You are welcome to pursue that choice, but there is absolutely no evidence to show that a helicoil kit leads to any problems. To the contrary, the steel threads are stronger than the original aluminum, and it's quite easy to essentially merge the helicoil and the crank arm, so that the "hole" is no larger.

Oh that's interesting to know! I had previously been to two LBS and they both said that a helicoil woud not work and that I should a) return the bike to the dealer or b) replace the crankset. In hindsight they were definitely just upselling their own cranksets to make a profit.

As it happens the original retailer has just contacted me saying they have managed to find a right hand crank arm to replace the threaded one so it is just a case of taking the chain ring off and replacing the threaded arm with the new one. All at a good price as well of £15 so pretty successful solution!

Thank you for your swift reply though cny-man.
replacing it is the right thing to do. from the point of view of if I buy a used bike and that has not been declared and I find it later which I will. I would be quite pissed off. Just not a good practice to get into, a total bandaid appr"ouch"
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Last Post: nfmisso