Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to fix your tight seat tube by honing (video)
Yea the ole tight post, Most people just live with it but there is no need to. I see it on a lot of bikes. Not much said about it here on the Tutor but I know a ton of people have the problem. so here is a quik realtime video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMvx7uKRdg&feature=youtu.be
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice video, very helpful.
One question...you don't use any lube or cutting oil on the hone? I'm used to brake and cylinder hones where it's required.
Craig Domingue - East Texas Hick
(10-30-2014, 09:40 AM)cradom Wrote:  Nice video, very helpful.
One question...you don't use any lube or cutting oil on the hone? I'm used to brake and cylinder hones where it's required.

Thanks, hope it helps. It works really well. You are correct in that I do not use honing oil. Merely personal preference, it would be fine for all practical purposes. I also do not use honing oil on my stones for knife sharpening either. One note I did not comment on in the video is the ball hones do come in various grits, I use 80 and 120 grit stones.
most applications the 120 grit will suffice. They last a long time even using dry. With the flow of bikes that I do, I see this quite often and use this method. The last thing you want to do is scar up a black ano or even a carbon seatpost over an easy fix like I showed in the video. The bike in video is a early 90's Specialized Hardrock I picked up in your fine state of Texas around Aubrey, in between Mckinny and Denton. Nothing fancy but getting a total facelift and upgrade to a full DeoreLX groupo. it was an 18 speed Altus equipped bike, soon to be a 21 speed commuter/expedition bike.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...