Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Thinking to buy Vintage Schwinn Road Bike
Hi,

I'm new to this but plan to buy a bike just for using in short distance. Could you please tell me if this price is good?

VINTAGE SCHWINN ROAD BIKE
CONDITION: GOOD
SPEED: 12
PRICE: 150 OR BEST OFFER
SIZE: 19 INCHES 48CM
4130 CROMO FRAME

Anyway I'm not sure if it's fit for me or not. This one look to be a men bike and I am only 5" tall.
Looks pretty clean but can't judge mechanical condition, which is the main variable in price on a given model, from a photo. Things like out of true (especially bent) wheels, worn drive train, rough bearings can have a huge influence on what is a fair price.

Whether it will fit you depends much on leg length. What you need to know is the height of the top tube off the ground, or if the bike is easily accessible to you just stand over it. It's very preferable to have some room between you and the bike when standing over it. The fairly short handlebar stem will help with reach to the bars.

HOWEVER, for short distance commuting I would recommend a bike with upright bars - more comfortable and generally safer. the handlebar stem shifters and brake extension ("suicide") levers are a poor choice, a result of compromises to get people into the popular 10/12 speeds without having to be "all bent over."
It will probably fit you. Our friend from NY is entirely correct.

Now the real question, are you willing to invest the time and money that it will take to tune and maintain the bike? You are looking at a 25-30 year old machine, it requires continual maintenance.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...