Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New information seeker
My name is Tom. I live in Sudbury, Ontario and I am retired. I purchased a 1985 Miyata 110 in good condition and over the winter I would like to put the bike in almost new condition. I am here to get help on problems that I come across in my project.
Welcome aboard Chip.

Please pose specific questions (in the appropriate sub-forum if possible) with pictures, lots of pictures.

Are you planning a restoration, or selectively update with more modern components? What sort of riding are you planning?

I have 310 of similar vintage. http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3598.html I had it ride-able for a little while, and found the handle bars were too narrow. A bit of research on the web on how wide the bars should be for a person, led me to go with 44cm bars (instead of 40cm OEM). It is now waiting for the cables to be hooked up (had to replace some due to the extra bar width); then re-tape the bars, and it will be ready to ride again. It is set up as 2 x 8 with Shimano STI brifters.
Nigel
Nigel makes a good point (as usual) of general interest. People routinely overlook handlebar width as a factor in fitting a downturn handlebar bike. I also take a wider bar. In addition there are different types of curves (standard Maes, anatomic, etc.) and amounts of reach forward and drop.
The only necessary replacements are tubes, tires, seat, rim tape, and brake hoods. All the rest is in nice shape, and the bike needs a bit of rust removal and a good cleaning. I am surprised at the good shape that it is in. As I progress I will post pics.
I do recreational riding to try and stay healthy.
Thanks for the welcome.
Tom
(11-10-2014, 03:25 PM)chipguy1 Wrote:  The only necessary replacements are tubes, tires, seat, rim tape, and brake hoods. All the rest is in nice shape, and the bike needs a bit of rust removal and a good cleaning. I am surprised at the good shape that it is in. As I progress I will post pics.
I do recreational riding to try and stay healthy.
Thanks for the welcome.
Tom
Here is my Miyata 110 Mixte, got for free. Love these Mixte's, They always make a quik flip!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
A beautiful bike! I paid for mine, free would have been better. You were lucky to get the mixte.
Tom
(11-11-2014, 09:47 AM)chipguy1 Wrote:  A beautiful bike! I paid for mine, free would have been better. You were lucky to get the mixte.
Tom

Thanks Tom, the story behind this free Miyata was, I donated and shipped some bike parts to our armed forces in sand land, and the next day this was given to me. That is just the way it seems to work. The ten fold rule as they say, works pretty good for me anyway. I know if I help someone in need, somewhere down the line something good will happen! ( remember it works both ways) Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(11-11-2014, 09:00 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(11-11-2014, 09:47 AM)chipguy1 Wrote:  A beautiful bike! I paid for mine, free would have been better. You were lucky to get the mixte.
Tom

Thanks Tom, the story behind this free Miyata was, I donated and shipped some bike parts to our armed forces in sand land, and the next day this was given to me. That is just the way it seems to work. The ten fold rule as they say, works pretty good for me anyway. I know if I help someone in need, somewhere down the line something good will happen! ( remember it works both ways) Smile

Your Mixte was well deserved.
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dan F