Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Carbon Frame Repair Possible?
Hi all -

I'm new to this site and relatively new to biking. I just purchased a custom road bike with a carbon fiber frame, stem, bars etc. and made the ultimate rookie mistake and punctured the carbon fiber. The customization process/experience is a long story but I ended up getting an aero frame (pictured in attachment) instead of what I had initially ordered, a standard frame I guess, with a straight down tube (pictured in attachment), is what you would call it. Anyhow, the aero frame, more than I needed/wanted was what I got in the end. I needed to lower the seat and when I went to do so I gave it a tap with a rubber mallet. Anyhow, the seat post came through the curved part of the tube just enough to puncture the carbon fiber. The opening is about half an inch by an inch big. Have I ruined the frame? is it repairable? Looking for guidance on next steps.
Is there any reason we cannot see the damage with some clear close up pics?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Carbon fiber is NOT a diy repair. Try this http://calfeedesign.com/repair/
(11-11-2014, 04:27 PM)Bulldog Wrote:  ....... Have I ruined the frame? is it repairable? Looking for guidance on next steps.

1. provide us detailed (high resolution) close up pictures of the damaged area.
2. tell us about you skills.
3. repairable - maybe.
4. ruined - maybe.
Nigel
I will post pictures of the damage a.s.a.p. The photos I initially posted were to illustrate the type of frame I received vs. what I ordered. Thanks for the replies. As far as my skills go I'm not sure how to define them really. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to road biking. I got the bike because I wanted to take up the sport as I enjoy riding and it offers a certain level of fitness and exercise. I know the bike I got was WAY more than I needed however I couldn't pass up a good deal on getting it custom made. Anyhow, I will post a pic of the damage area as soon as I can.

Thanks again

(11-12-2014, 04:45 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(11-11-2014, 04:27 PM)Bulldog Wrote:  ....... Have I ruined the frame? is it repairable? Looking for guidance on next steps.

1. provide us detailed (high resolution) close up pictures of the damaged area.
2. tell us about you skills.
3. repairable - maybe.
4. ruined - maybe.
Sorry; your handy person skills, not your biking skills.
Nigel
Sorry, apparently I'm a beginner at interpreting emails as well, lol. I'm not overly handy but I know the basics and I am willing to learn in order to save the frame, if possible. Thanks again for your patience here. Pictures coming later this evening when I get home from work.

(11-13-2014, 02:19 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Sorry; your handy person skills, not your biking skills.
Here are pictures of the damage.
I would like to see a picture of your seatpost, if it is square accross the bottom I would think the gash would be to low for the post to have done that, I would think there would be a stop in the tube that may have been knocked down.Is this a brandless China frame? How much was the frame? The reason I ask is because yes, it can be repaired. however, due to honest disclosure at time of resale kinda makes it worthless to most buyers, even worse if it is a Chinese spin off. If I were to repair that frame, add a stop, shorten the seat post, paint, you would be looking @ roughly $400 + Shipping. If ever sold, the repair should be disclosed. If it is new and some type of warranty, maybe due to the tight post, they may replace it. worth asking at this point.
You need to shift the blame on the manufacturer if possible.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I'm fairly certain that it was the seat post however I didn't know there was a stopper in the tube so it could have been that. I will pull the seat out and take a picture. Yes, it is a china frame I believe. It has no branding what so ever. My problem is that I had it built by someone privately and the transaction didn't end well as the builder refused to complete the build of the bike when I contacted him after my test ride (as I said earlier, it's a long story) so I have no contacts other than him to help with the issue. I found a company called CarbonWorks (http://www.carbonwork.ca) which is close to me and they repair carbon frames. They gave me a quote of approx. $300-375 (pending inspection) based on the photos I attached above so I may go that route. I guess I just need to know if the puncture truly compromises the frame structure or because it is so small am I OK to ride it. I don't want it to break while I'm riding it for obvious reasons.
(11-17-2014, 12:52 PM)Bulldog Wrote:  I guess I just need to know if the puncture truly compromises the frame structure or because it is so small am I OK to ride it. I don't want it to break while I'm riding it for obvious reasons.

Don't ride it. On a carbon frame, pretty much any failure area compromises the whole frame and no one would describe this as "small".

Fixing it may be the way to go. But I get the impression that you weren't very happy with the frame set up to begin with. If so, you might look around for used frames on ebay, etc. It may be you could get something more to your liking in the same price range anyway. Not easily, but worth a look to see what you're options are. (See: sunk cost fallacy)
OK, I will not ride it. I don't want an injury to come of this as well. It was suggested to me that I should just strip the bike down and sell everything but the frame (or sell the entire bike, with the disclosure of the puncture, for the parts) and try and recoup some money and start over. The entire experience has been a complete mess and a waste of money but from my experience the biking community is rather close knit and I appreciate all the input here. Thanks for your time and I'll let you know what the outcome of whatever I decide to do is.

Thanks again

(11-17-2014, 01:43 PM)DaveM Wrote:  
(11-17-2014, 12:52 PM)Bulldog Wrote:  I guess I just need to know if the puncture truly compromises the frame structure or because it is so small am I OK to ride it. I don't want it to break while I'm riding it for obvious reasons.

Don't ride it. On a carbon frame, pretty much any failure area compromises the whole frame and no one would describe this as "small".

Fixing it may be the way to go. But I get the impression that you weren't very happy with the frame set up to begin with. If so, you might look around for used frames on ebay, etc. It may be you could get something more to your liking in the same price range anyway. Not easily, but worth a look to see what you're options are. (See: sunk cost fallacy)
(11-17-2014, 02:03 PM)Bulldog Wrote:  ..... strip the bike down and sell everything but the frame and start over. ......
That is what I would do. I suggest a Nashbar frame; and with your experience level, you might be better off with an metal frame - lot less cost. My preference is cro-mo.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_204685_-1_204647_204647
Nigel
It is still nice to know my prices are still competitive. when shipping is involved it does make a difference if comparing apples to apples of course! Smile I would say in your best interest, just start over. I also do recommend that you do not skimp when it comes to the frame, a bad bad frame can make the best of components seem sub par. Chalk it up and move on. Remember that even highend carbon frames can be a pain in the ass. Whole different story if you have a sponsor to help foot the ups and downs! Awesome wall art though, make a clock out of it!
Saw as pic once of a bathroom side bar made from a roadie and it looked AWSOME! It is around the time of year when you can start getting some great deals on last years closeout models.
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Thanks for providing the information....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Last Post: mojoe

02-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Last Post: barefooter