Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

18 speed right-shifter pod
Looking the bike over for needed parts, this one is the most obvious...right (rear) shifter pod's indicator lens is gone. It's an older 18 speed Gary Fisher Tassajara with Shimano Deore shift components...dual lever (rapid fire?).

Left pod is numbered 3 2 1 from left to right. Any suggestions on what to look for as a replacement? Plan on replacing both cables, etc. while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance!
(11-18-2014, 04:51 PM)charliebrown Wrote:  Looking the bike over for needed parts, this one is the most obvious...right (rear) shifter pod's indicator lens is gone. It's an older 18 speed Gary Fisher Tassajara with Shimano Deore shift components...dual lever (rapid fire?).

Left pod is numbered 3 2 1 from left to right. Any suggestions on what to look for as a replacement? Plan on replacing both cables, etc. while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance!

recount, it is not an 18 speed alluminum gary fisher. that bike is probably somewhere between 99' and 03'. unless of course things were changed before or after you owned it
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(11-18-2014, 08:01 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(11-18-2014, 04:51 PM)charliebrown Wrote:  Looking the bike over for needed parts, this one is the most obvious...right (rear) shifter pod's indicator lens is gone. It's an older 18 speed Gary Fisher Tassajara with Shimano Deore shift components...dual lever (rapid fire?).

Thanks in advance!

recount, it is not an 18 speed alluminum gary fisher. that bike is probably somewhere between 99' and 03'. unless of course things were changed before or after you owned it

Thanks for the info. No indications anything was "changed". There would have been no advantage to counterfeiting the bike 15 years ago. I've been around it since 2005 and no mods were done since then. Any other thoughts?
Charlie; there are inconsistencies - the bike in the picture has linear pull (V-brakes) which does not correlate date wise with 18 speed. The brake levers look like newer Tektro parts.
Nigel
(11-18-2014, 08:52 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Charlie; there are inconsistencies - the bike in the picture has linear pull (V-brakes) which does not correlate date wise with 18 speed. The brake levers look like newer Tektro parts.

Another reason I'm glad I stumbled into the forum. As far as I know, this bike has never been modified (since 2003). The speed info posted is based on counting crank gears multiplied by rear gears...6 x 3?
this is getting interesting now. let me ask you this Charlie. is it a cassette or freewheel. Looking at the hubs alone they are certainly pre Parallax style. gary fisher's normally have a much fatter front hub, what are the markings on the rims, they are also what I might see with an 18 speed of late 80's or early 90's. they look like araya's. by the paint scheme and color plus style of the lettering. this bike no doubt has been modified from stock and it did come with a shock originally more than likely. hard to tell from the pics but the frame may even be suited for disc brakes also and the fork is not. what do the hubs say? shimano or Joytech?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(11-18-2014, 10:54 PM)painkiller Wrote:  this is getting interesting now. let me ask you this Charlie. is it a cassette or freewheel. Looking at the hubs alone they are certainly pre Parallax style. gary fisher's normally have a much fatter front hub, what are the markings on the rims, they are also what I might see with an 18 speed of late 80's or early 90's. they look like araya's. by the paint scheme and color plus style of the lettering. this bike no doubt has been modified from stock and it did come with a shock originally more than likely. hard to tell from the pics but the frame may even be suited for disc brakes also and the fork is not. what do the hubs say? shimano or Joytech?

This is getting interesting...very. I'll try to answer all of your questions. Re: "Aluminum"...just doing a simple magnet test, it sticks to the forks, but nowhere on the frame. Good call on the wheels-they are Arayas. Appears to be freewheel rather than cassette. Regarding the color scheme, I have seen only one like it on a Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52BCR5A7e8o

Front hub is a Joytech quick release. No visible ID on the rear hub, which is not a quick-release.

As far as the speed goes, I used the 3x6 multiplier method (front and rear respectively). Brake lever marked Promax.

With all of your guidance, I'm also convinced the bike has been modified...agree, it should have front shocks.

Should be a fun project bike if nothing else. I'll do more digging into it and see if I can come up with parts that were on it or that would be nice upgrades. Many thanks for spotting things I'd not given a thought to over the years.
This is what I would bet my banana's the bike is.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2001&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Tassajara
which would tell me it was fairly new when you got the bike. Strange to have been pirated so young. But there is nothing wrong with a rigid fork in my book. you would be big money deep bringing back to what it was, so why bother. You liked the bike and it has served you well. I would just maintain it and ride on. I would like to see some pics of the shifters you have on the bike, cannot tell from your pics, but would assume you have more speeds on the shifter than is set up for. I would also mention that if you would like a rim/tire swap option. i.e. smoothies on one set and knobbies on the other. I do have a set of araya's just like yours, both joytech hubs, rear quik release, with six speed freewheel cluster. A pull from a Specialized Hardrock I am up grading. I would let go for $20 + shipping, which may be around $25 more to ship. They are decent shape. the good thing is they are the same width which means no brake adjustments when swapping sets on and off. If interested just send me a message.
(11-19-2014, 08:38 PM)painkiller Wrote:  This is what I would bet my banana's the bike is.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2001&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Tassajara
which would tell me it was fairly new when you got the bike. Strange to have been pirated so young. But there is nothing wrong with a rigid fork in my book. you would be big money deep bringing back to what it was, so why bother. You liked the bike and it has served you well. I would just maintain it and ride on. I would like to see some pics of the shifters you have on the bike, cannot tell from your pics, but would assume you have more speeds on the shifter than is set up for. I would also mention that if you would like a rim/tire swap option. i.e. smoothies on one set and knobbies on the other. I do have a set of araya's just like yours, both joytech hubs, rear quik release, with six speed freewheel cluster. A pull from a Specialized Hardrock I am up grading. I would let go for $20 + shipping, which may be around $25 more to ship. They are decent shape. the good thing is they are the same width which means no brake adjustments when swapping sets on and off. If interested just send me a message.

Looking at your link...THAT IS IT. You get to keep your bananas! I'm surprised the bike was pirated so soon too. Not sure why anyone would do so, but people do stranger things. Re: shifters, knowing as little as I do (but learning more), Alivo Rapid Fire plus shifter on the right has been changed.
I'll get decent photos of the shifters and post them. Will also keep in mind your wheel set!

Agree that restoring it would be ridiculously expensive. No issue for me with no front suspension. It rides fine. Just a few parts replaced and a tune-up + tires and tubes. That should get me very close to having a reliable bike.
There is hardly a bike I pick up that I do not throw a hun or two at to make a good user again, trust me on the fact that you now have a rigid fork and that alone saved you the headache of a worn out shock that would be next to impossible to rebuild. I have parted out $1500 + dollar bikes because of this. Shame on Rockshox and some of the other big names for this. One has to really watch used bikes of any age because of this. It gets even worse if you have a highend bike with a shock that has a 1in. steer tube. The way I look at it is you already have a platform to build from and 2 or 3 hun to make good the way you like it. is still far better than any new bike for that price. even a $600 new bike can be a bit cheesy on components here and there.

Possibly Related Threads...