Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What is the weight of your bike?
Seeing that I'm in a vacuum here that is stuck in the late 60's to late 70's with the two bikes we have, I have nothing to compare it with, except for a Chinese WallMart bike.
As I tried to determine the age of the bikes I realized there were different tubing used. Ours is Steel, as is rims...
Today, for grins, I took a scale down to basement and weighed me holding bikes...
2 French bikes have Steel Frames, Steel rims, Kickstands, lights front and rear, and an empty utility bag on each...... I measure:

Peugeot (I Think 1979-80 U09) 30.7 pounds (Aldi Food Store Seat)

Gitane (I think 1069-70 Grand Sport Mixte) 31.7 pounds (Different seat and gel cover)

Chinese WallMart bike (bought in 2012) 36.3 pounds

No wonder wife liked the Gitane better than the WallMart bike!
After examining catalogs again....... Am I correct that weights are taken without pedals?
????
Those weights I posted had pedals

Kind of reminds me of motorcycle specs, where weight is without gas, oil & coolant!!
1. Weights are approximate, will vary with frame, so with pedals or not is relatively unimportant.

2. Your wife likes the Gitane more because the frame and components are good quality than because of a few pounds of weight.

3. Weight is not all that important anyway. My Novara Randonee, a dedicated touring bike weighs 26 lbs. Some would consider that a tank compared to there super light performance machines, but I pass many of them anyway, even though I'm 65 years old.

Bike weight while in motion = frame + components + RIDER.

Bike speed = engine power - wind resistance - rolling resistance - inertia effect (weight/gravity related) - friction. The first is the biggest factor overall, the second is a huge factor at higher speeds, the third can be significant, the last two are relatively minor, especially as the differences in bike/component weight have a small effect on "bike weight."
(11-29-2014, 11:33 AM)JanJ Wrote:  After examining catalogs again....... Am I correct that weights are taken without pedals?
????
Those weights I posted had pedals

Kind of reminds me of motorcycle specs, where weight is without gas, oil & coolant!!
It varies, most do not post weight any more and often just general due to frame sizes and so on. A bike is not a bike without pedals so include the pedals in the total. When I build weight weenie bike, I weigh every part and piece. I see a vast difference from the claimed weight and rarely is it lighter. Just because a bike is alloy it does not always mean it is lighter. I have many steel bikes well under the 30lb. mark. to me anything over 29lbs. is getting on the heavy side. My bikes would be 1997 and earlier.
Todays road bikes would expect to be 19 to 22lbs for mid level @ $1000 to $2000 and 14 to 19lbs. for higher end road bikes @ the cost of much more. based on the bikes that have crossed my path and scale.Here are some of my bikes actual with pedals weight.
1997 Bontrager Privateer,19in. Steel MTB with front shock @ 24lb 7oz
1993 Specialized Rockhopper steel rigid 20in. frame MTB @27lb 11oz
1994 Univega Alpina 5.1 steel, rigid mtb, front/rear racks, 20in. frame 29lb 8oz
1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 steel, rigid mtb, 17.5in. frame, 25lb. 10oz.
1995 Gary Fisher Hookoo e koo. steel with front shock 18in. frame 27lb. 3oz
Now some vintage steel road bikes can be even a bit lighter than some of these Mountain bikes I listed and as you know can be quite heavier too. It is all about the type of tube sets used, pedals,skewers, stems can make a big difference as far as shaving some bolt on weight.
My full suspension bike comes in @ around 26lbs. One of the lightest mtb framed rigid bikes I have built for myself come in @ 21lbs. and some chump change.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Must be winter and PBS (parked bicycle syndrome) time. That Fuji is awesome build PK. Did you get that frame from Nashbar? I saw them selling Fuji frames.

When I got my 1985 Fuji del Rey it weight 24.5 lbs with equipment its up to 27.5.

My 1991 Aluminum Schwinn Sierra MB with equipment is at 29lbs. The old Schwinn paramounts with triple butted columbus tenex tubes weight 19 -21 lbs. The Schwinn Varsity with steel pipes weigh 36lbs.

Yeh the manufacturers hide their weight figures nower days.
Never Give Up!!!
Oh, that's amazing....

I now have PBS, And PMS! Big Grin!

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome
Yep PBS and PMS is why I moved from MA to Venice CA. I can ride my BMW 1982 R100 Cafe motorcycle year round along the Pacific Ocean, my bicycle most of the year on beach bike path.
Never Give Up!!!
(11-29-2014, 02:42 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Must be winter and PBS (parked bicycle syndrome) time. That Fuji is awesome build PK. Did you get that frame from Nashbar? I saw them selling Fuji frames.

When I got my 1985 Fuji del Rey it weight 24.5 lbs with equipment its up to 27.5.

My 1991 Aluminum Schwinn Sierra MB with equipment is at 29lbs. The old Schwinn paramounts with triple butted columbus tenex tubes weight 19 -21 lbs. The Schwinn Varsity with steel pipes weigh 36lbs.

Yeh the manufacturers hide their weight figures nower days.

yep, that was the Nashbar frame. Great deal. I did a spread on it to show what it takes and how to go about a particular build.
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3633.html
Then bought a damaged bike from the czech republic for parts and rebuilt it into a hardtail full deore equipped with hydraulic brakes and sold it. I found a new pull shock that was perfect for the mod.
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4716.html
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
That is a very interesting read on the build!
Now that I understand what went into it.... It's a nice project!
(11-29-2014, 05:36 PM)JanJ Wrote:  That is a very interesting read on the build!
thanks janj, it was one of those just because i can builds for write up and demo. A blend of old tech and new tech meeting in the middle. The frameset very indicative of what you see nowadays everywhere. they make for decent suspension style bikes but terrible rigid rides in my book. I am mostly a retro steelie guy at heart and I guess always will be. What ever someone thinks they want, I will build to suit. I think in the back of my head sometimes "What an over priced piece of crap" and they love it like its best thing since sliced bread! Bikes are funny that way for sure. ride what you like and love riding it!
Thats the bottom line! Smile
(11-29-2014, 06:04 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(11-29-2014, 05:36 PM)JanJ Wrote:  That is a very interesting read on the build!
thanks janj, it was one of those just because i can builds for write up and demo. A blend of old tech and new tech meeting in the middle. The frameset very indicative of what you see nowadays everywhere. they make for decent suspension style bikes but terrible rigid rides in my book. I am mostly a retro steelie guy at heart and I guess always will be. What ever someone thinks they want, I will build to suit. I think in the back of my head sometimes "What an over priced piece of crap" and they love it like its best thing since sliced bread! Bikes are funny that way for sure. ride what you like and love riding it!
Thats the bottom line! Smile

I agree. I tried to get one of my friends to bling up his old bike because I felt sorry about the way the bike looked and for him being seen on it but he says my bikes are 'too shiny'and wouldnt have it any other way. I'm sure some people would look at my bike and think they wouldnt want to be seen on it if its the last bike left. Personally I just maintain a general appreciation for all bikes but some I would want to ride and some I am happy to admire.
Oh, yes I remember that build, PK. Nice job, although a bit more than I spent.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...